Cafepress Store     AquaticSuppliers.com

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

After a few delays, Display Tank#5 has been installed on the Top Tier of the Fish Nook. (I missed the $1 a gallon sale last week, so Tank #6, the last to go on this system, won't happen for a bit).

Some challenges having 3 levels of display tanks with a 2', 4' and 6' head... I did see about a 10% drop in measured flow performance once I put that top level tank on line with it's 6' head. However, it is still acceptable at a true 470gph. Pump is rated at 1000, but I'm seeing 470 in this configuration, which represents a true turnover of 4+ times an hour (the entire system, display tanks, dual sump, etc.. contains about 112 gallons). I plan to make a final tweak to the plumbing leaving the sump that will remove a few turns and give me a main trunk of 1" before dividing to the two existing 3/4" verticals to serve each level and then the final 1/2" (about 10" worth) that goes into each tank via a fluted entry. Should see a minor gain, perhaps restoring me back to a true 500+ gph in this configuration.

DisplayTank5OnLineInFishNook.jpg

Today, I will install the lighting. (same 2x 12.5" 6W 8000k ecoxotic stunner strips that the other tanks use). Of course, this one will suspend from the ceiling on hooks as there is no shelf to tuck it under..
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 02-21-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Peter

yesterday I hung the led lighting and moved three of my wife's female guppies to the new fifth display tank.

this morning, we awoke to about 40 guppy babies in the new tank with another 7 in the sump socks. these guppies are from the female that was part of the Panda Guppy pair, so they might be interesting to look at.... So much so, that we set up a little screen to keep them in for a few weeks.

GuppyNetAtTop.jpg

lots more work to do...
    Peter

learning never stops

iTrader
    Real Name
    Shan

LED's looking good!
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    LED's looking good!
    Thank you. The FishNook has 10 x Ecoxotic Stunner 12.5" 6W 8000k Strips, 2 per display tank. They are unfortunately a model that have not been available for sometime. So when Display Tank #6 is added, it is doubtful if these same lights weill be sourced again.

When you look, you can see the appearance is a bit odd left, right, to center... That is due to having only 5 of the reflectors, so the entire 24" width cannot be covered. Therefore, just the center where the two strips join is straddled by a single reflector on each tank..

I suspect that I can easily make more of the reflectors on a cutting machine (I have access to a laser cutter through a community hacker space), but I don't know if I can find two more of those strips. Even finding a 24" strip that's not super blue has been a challenge.

I've always been told the stunner strips were never designed to be the main lighting source. However, the plants are trimmed aggressively once a week, so they are rather happy with what they are getting out of 12watts per tank.

I like them, but have not found an equivalent. Current USA (which is Ecoxotic) had a neat 24" 10000k aluminum model, but it's out of production as well. I have two of those. They are a bit blue for a planted tank, but I may employ them anyway.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 02-23-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    Peter

learning never stops

iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Peter

Never to proud to look at the classifieds for left-by-the-curb notices... Found one of my neighbors was throwing away this classy brushed nickel towel rack. (I checked with my wife first and it wouldn't fit anywhere in our bathrooms). It's perfect for storing my cotton wiping rags.... the individual posts swing out for extra space to air dry them too... Dressing up the Fish Nook a little bit.... with another man's trash!

TowelRack.jpg

I have something else going on the wall below the towel rack and above the ladder... But that will take a few weeks to build and reveal...
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910