AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

I thought I would follow-up the messy plants photo with one of all the Display Tanks trimmed up neatly.

DisplayTanksTrimmedUpSep2021.jpg

I literally have a spare 20 gallon long that is full top to bottom, side to side, front to back, of solid plant mass. Need to get it gone.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

Crazy Good,,,i was thinking just some simple hoses and clamps for mine...you are on a way different level,,, Good Job...
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee1stLife2nd View Post
    Crazy Good,,,i was thinking just some simple hoses and clamps for mine...you are on a way different level,,, Good Job...
    Most of what I've done is unnecessary. However, I would absolutley never ever build a fish room without having the tanks plumbed for automatic water changes. This has been a godsend. Even when I'm completely lazy.... a flip of the switch changes out about 40% of my water (~ 50 gallons of waste flows to my garden) and brings in 50 gallons of RO water to the system. I just remineralize and add the fertilizers that are appropriate for 50 gallons of new water. I never every neglect water changes this way and I never have a drop of water on the floor or glass.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

Beauty of a Sump... Brine Shrimp Hatchery is out of the way, but climate controlled...

ArtemiaHatcheryInTheSump.jpg
    Peter

learning never stops

Peter, I admire all you can do to make things as nearly perfect enough to suit you but you could never stand my medium size fish room. All my mistakes and plumbing fixes I are in plain view. You will never catch me using buckets but over time I've made WC take more rather than less. I like it this way because I like gives me a bit of what I never used to consider exercise and I enjoy watching the fish while I work the tanks.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 10-02-2021 at 08:31 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Peter, I admire all you can do to make things as nearly perfect enough to suit you but you could never stand my medium size fish room. All my mistakes and plumbing fixes I are in plain view. You will never catch me using buckets but over time I've made WC take more rather than less. I like it this way because I like gives me a bit of what I never used to consider exercise and I enjoy watching the fish while I work the tanks.
    Rats... I just wrote an entire long response.. and then somehow I deleted the whole thing... so I'm not typing that again.

Anyway, I'll just say that yeah... I put a bit of emphasis on the style of the hardware... It was intentional, however it's superficial and has absolutely no bearing on the quality of my fishkeeping. I have lots of fish... lots of plants... and they are all improving.... but man they just don't compare to your fish that are so dramatic and spectacular. When I saw the photos of your Blue and Red Snakeskins that you are re-homing I was positively blown away. You keep absolutely incredible fish!!! Who cares if your power strips aren't color coordinated, or your styrofoam shows, or you can see purple primer on your white PVC or you? Not me... I never judge a persons fishkeeping on that kind of superficial stuff. It's the fish (and plants and invertebrates if you have them) that matter! Well clean glass too... that matters. HAHAHA. You have to actually be able to see them....

My short tanks prevent me from getting into Discus and Angelfish, which I guess was intentional so that I would maintain some self discipline and self control (although the sheer variety and number of tetras, corydoras, shrimp and plecos that I have is mind boggling now.... so much for limiting myself... good thing I have the dual chamber sump!). So, I'm in constant awe of fishkeepers that get to keep those awesome tall laterally compressed cichlids like Discus, Angelfish, Severums, Festivums, Uarus, Keyholes, etc...

The water change stuff... I automate it becuase I wouldn't be disciplined enought otherwise... I lack that discipline that a skilled fishkeeper/breeder like yourself has!
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

That said, I did sneak a certain Petco $1 a gallon 40 gallon breeder into the home the other day (not sneak... Heather was made aware of it). It's part of my feasibility study into replacing all of the 20gallon longs with 40breeders in the Fish Nook.. No gaurantees yet... Heck, I took years to get the Fishnook from planning to operational status... So, I can take my time deciding on how far I want to take any upgrading.... If I did.. I'd probably start another build thread. LOL...
    Peter

learning never stops

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Rats... I just wrote an entire long response.. and then somehow I deleted the whole thing... so I'm not typing that again.

Anyway, I'll just say that yeah... I put a bit of emphasis on the style of the hardware... It was intentional, however it's superficial and has absolutely no bearing on the quality of my fishkeeping. I have lots of fish... lots of plants... and they are all improving.... but man they just don't compare to your fish that are so dramatic and spectacular. When I saw the photos of your Blue and Red Snakeskins that you are re-homing I was positively blown away. You keep absolutely incredible fish!!! Who cares if your power strips aren't color coordinated, or your styrofoam shows, or you can see purple primer on your white PVC or you? Not me... I never judge a persons fishkeeping on that kind of superficial stuff. It's the fish (and plants and invertebrates if you have them) that matter! Well clean glass too... that matters. HAHAHA. You have to actually be able to see them....

My short tanks prevent me from getting into Discus and Angelfish, which I guess was intentional so that I would maintain some self discipline and self control (although the sheer variety and number of tetras, corydoras, shrimp and plecos that I have is mind boggling now.... so much for limiting myself... good thing I have the dual chamber sump!). So, I'm in constant awe of fishkeepers that get to keep those awesome tall laterally compressed cichlids like Discus, Angelfish, Severums, Festivums, Uarus, Keyholes, etc...

The water change stuff... I automate it becuase I wouldn't be disciplined enought otherwise... I lack that discipline that a skilled fishkeeper/breeder like yourself has!
    What a lovely compliment, Peter. If I had your talent everything I'd have everything beautiful. But I don't. I make it so it works because for me it's about the fish, just like you said.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

I don't think I've ever shown Plant Trimming aftermath. I had gone about 10 to 14 days without trimming the 6 display tanks of my FishNook, so I knew there would be some clippings.

This is what it looked Sunday evening as I deposited the clippings that represent about 10 different kind of stem plants and floaters into a spare 20gallon long aquarium on my back deck.

TrimmingStore.jpg

I can't keep them long as I have no light, fertilization, nor heat in that tank and the next Fish Club Meeting is 3 weeks away. They'll just get leggy and pale. So, I've invited club members to come by on Tuesday and clean me out for donations to the club.

What's crazy is that I just did the same thing last month.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 11-23-2021 at 12:34 AM.
    Peter

learning never stops

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Beauty of a Sump... Brine Shrimp Hatchery is out of the way, but climate controlled...

ArtemiaHatcheryInTheSump.jpg
    Quick question: What are you using for the probe holder?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by sayitfast View Post
    Quick question: What are you using for the probe holder?
    I am using one sold by Atlas-Scientific. It's a bit spendy. (I found a used one on Ebay).

https://atlas-scientific.com/cables/...-probe-holder/

That said... here is a much cheaper, but smaller one available on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28425913369...3ABFBMiNbI0MFf
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-30-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

FishNook has been up and running for more than 2 years now. Looks like the last time I updated this thread was nearly a year ago.
    The FishNook was a great diversion while we returned to the US for 30 months due to Covid and other economic factors. That said... We are ready to return to Mexico... so simplification is in order...

The fishnook is coming down... and will be replaced by 1 40 gallon breeder in my home in Green Valley, Arizona and 1 40 gallon breeder in my home in Álamos, Sonora. The fish, plants, shrimp will just travel back and forth in a bucket every 6 months... already started emptying the first 2 Display Tanks of the FishNook. About 50 fish and 30 plants have been sold off so far..

FishNookTopLeftOutOfService.jpg

When I get to the house in Álamos in 2 weeks, I'll take a photo of the 40 gallon breeder there. I still have a FishNook... I just don't have the big 6 Display Tank system anymore.... The 40gallon breeders will have a fair amount of automation in both locations... Not giving that convenience up..
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

Disassemble is continuing..

FishNookRack-4Gone2ToGo.jpg
    Peter

learning never stops

It would break my heart if I'd done all that work just to break it all down.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Agree, Liz.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast