AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It would break my heart if I'd done all that work just to break it all down.
    It's not so bad. Most of the equipment will be used on my smaller 40 breeder setup in Mexico and my 40 breeder setup in the USA. I'm using 1 of the racks in a storage bodega here in Arizona. and the other rack in a storage area of my home in Mexico. So nothing wasted. Just simplifying the amount of livestock and plants that I'm keeping so that it's transportable. The FishNook served a good purpose. I learned allot. Ultimately, I just didn't enjoy the whole 4 tier setup. Over the last year it's all gotten louder and needed a revamp. So the 40's will be built with nice silent Bean Animal overflowes to the small sumps.

I caught Dengue Fever this summer and injured myself (hernia)... and of course Dengue affects your platelets and blood clotting, so I had to delay surgery until I built those back up.... Now I've had the surgery, and it just isn't fun climbing a ladder to service the tanks while I have to restrict activity for 8 weeks. Of course, 3 weeks into recover, I tore some muscle, so recovery sets back to the full 8 weeks again. Anyway, I'll enjoy fishkeeping much more with just a sump below and 1 tank above.

What has surprised me is that literally no one wants the 8 drilled 20 gallon longs. Probably sell them for $5 a piece or so this weekend.

So, here's how I decided on what plants to save... I bought an under the bed sweater tote that has a foot print close to a 40 breeder and I scaped it...

PlantContainer.jpg

FrontOfContainer.jpg

TopOfContainer.jpg

The fish are in the last 20 gallon long (it gets taken down tomorrow so that it and the plants in it can be sold at auction this weekend). The fish will live in a small 10 gallon aquarium with a heater, air stone, and hang on box filter with 50% water changes every day until we leave next week. It's allot of fish for a 10 gallon, but they will do well with light feedings and constant water changes with 90% RO.

FishNookFinal20GallonLongMoments.jpg

I'll have similar automation at both places for water changes, CO2 fertilization, dosing, etc... will just move the plants and fish back and forth every 6 or 8 months or so. I mean, I'm going from 9 tanks running... to just 1 tank running (and 1 on standby at the other location, without water, plants, fish).. So enough equipment to make fishkeeping easy and equal at either location.

My wife and I are really looking forward to returning back to Mexico to live next week. We started some remodeling on the little casita we've had down there forever so we've got just some painting and finish electric to do. I've missed it. Maybe I'll start building a modest retirement home with gardens on that little bit of land (just under an acre in town) that I have down there finally (not that I'm retired, but I will someday)... Put some footings in... (I already put up a fence around it this spring on a visit).
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 11-11-2022 at 12:50 AM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213