AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Sonora Desert Fish Nook (mini fishroom)

Finished Up the Drain.

In the FishNook, I decided to allow entry on each side of each stand. I also have an extra tall stand pipe for the R.O. Waste that makes it way from the R.O. Water Bodega, throught the Copper Raceway, down into the FishNook Drain Line..

DrainBehindRackwithROWasteEntryToo.jpg

Here you can see it exits the outside wall of the Fish Nook... Needed to offset the exit to avoid structural 2X4s.

DrainBehindRackExitingFishNook.jpg

Here is the only place on my back patio where the Fish Nook Drain Line is exposed. This is a little alcove where I have a stainless steel work table on wheels, so it's disguised. Had to offset it's entry into the Patio Bodega as well to get around those structural 2x4s too. The bodega is about 12' wide, so the line travels through it until it passes through a wall to where a lemon and grapefruit tree will be watered.

ExposedDrainAcrossPatio.jpg

Always details.

I also finished up all of that network cabling terminations. No more spotty wifi in my den/office for my desktop, laptop, printer and internet of things stuff (like the aquarium controller). Was incredible how much more reliable my connections were while I was working and doing VPN connections and Zoom meetings, etc... The Switch (garage sale find) is in a temporary location, utilizing a hole in the wall that has always been there (I decided to keep it, even duplicating it in the sheetrock on the inside of the fishnook... Eventually, the switch and the cables will go on a very high, close to the ceiling, shelf in the Fish Nook, hidden away. Even put outlets way up high in the fish nook for each of those shelves for plugging in out of the way equipment.

TemporaryNetgearSwitch.jpg

Anyway, I always try to get something small done each day, even when sick. My wife and I seem to be getting a little sicker... but I still believe we have very nasty colds or 'normal' flu... and not the Corona Virus. Guess we will know by Monday. Here is what 20% of the testing line looked like Wednesday when we tested. Staying home meanwhile.

CovidTestingLine.jpg
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Ricardo

I hope everything turns out well Peter. Our lines are mainly done via automobile.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Peter

Rick. Pretty sure my wife and I just have really terrible colds. Lots of bad aches, coughs, sneezes, congestion, fatigue, etc... but no fevers. Anyway, we should get results by Monday. We certainly feel horrible to be honest.

Ok, back to the Fish Nook. Soldiered on and finished the trim, shelves, and painting (i'll touch up over screw holes and do a little gap filling later). With the shelves, I don't like splinters and sharp edges so all of the edges and holes are also rounded by a router and quick sanded before the primer (the last bit of binz.. really stretched it) and two/three coats of semi-gloss went on.

High shelf for other equipment... office connections wired into the switch on the shelf, but lots of ports left for 'fishy' stuff (e.g. aquarium controller).

FishNookShelfNetwork.jpg

Other high shelf built. Here you can see the R.O. Water Bodega Raceway above it.. and the holes I put through the shelf for passing tubes and wires.

FishNookShelfRaceWayEntry.jpg

Hopefully, the FishNook will be more inviting now that I'm moving on to the 'fishy' bits instead of all of this construction.

FishNookAllTrimmedOut.jpg

Need to finish erecting the stands to their full height and set the tanks down and start plumbing them in. Just before that, I will finish up the R.O. Water stuff in the R.O. Water Bodega upfront off the carport. Oh, yeah, that 2nd chamber of the Sump needs attention to (ordered that tool from Amazon... thanks Tom). Fun stuff.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 11-22-2020 at 02:55 AM.
    Peter

learning never stops

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I also hope you have just a cold/flu Peter Hope you feel better soon!! Nice progress BTW.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Peter

FishNook Racks fully erected. (Misplaced the balance of my cork sheets, so I can't put the other display tanks on yet...)

Now I feel like there is tons of work to do again.

I'm starting to lean towards not repairing chamber 2 of my sump and fitting my sensors and heater in chamber 1 and locating the pump on the other shelf along with the UV filter and CO2 reactor. Haven't decided yet. It does eliminate having to locate the UV filter and CO2 Reactor on the Wall.

FishNookRacksErected.jpg
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Ricardo

That is coming along nicely! You probably mentioned it but what are you going to do for humidity?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    That is coming along nicely! You probably mentioned it but what are you going to do for humidity?
    I will only have 4 x 20L display tanks and the partially filled 2 x 20L Sumps with glass lids on everything. I live in the Sonora Desert (~35 miles from the Mexican Border), so it's quite dry. The 5' folding doors will often be opened. Furthermore, the raceway from the front of the bodega will provide a steady stream of fresh air. I'm not too concerned with humidity.

If I need be, a humidity sensor can be connected (https://atlas-scientific.com/probes/...midity-sensor/) to my aquarium controller (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...xpI-O-over-i2c) to turn on, when required, a 6" exhaust fan. (I have a nice 120V 6" muffin fan sitting around somewhere in my back bodega that I can install by simply punching through my FishNook's outside wall).

My existing 10 gallon tank (nursery/quarantine) and 5 gallon tank (plant nursery) are already in my den/office (again with lids). The air is so dry, I hardly sweat spills when trimming plants or changing water on these little tanks.

Ordered an inexpensive thermostatic mixing valve to install in the R.O. Water Bodega out front. When I feel better and can go fetch some cork so that I can fit the remaining tanks and plumb everything in. Still debating on repairing the 2nd Sump chamber.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 11-24-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Ricardo

Sounds like a good plan to me. When I had my 75g w/ sump humidity did become a concern really quick. Summers were really difficult without AC

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Peter

Well, as an aside. After 6 days, the test results came back, and I do in fact have Covid... which is a bummer. It feels allot like Dengue Fever (minus the high temperatures).... a little heaviness in the chest, lots of body ache, headache, and tiredness.

So, no leaving the house to get any supplies for about 10 more days... I'll keep busy with the stuff I've got here... I seem to get a burst of energy a couple of times a day (though yesterday and today... I did not.... LOL )
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
    Well, as an aside. After 6 days, the test results came back, and I do in fact have Covid... which is a bummer. It feels allot like Dengue Fever (minus the high temperatures).... a little heaviness in the chest, lots of body ache, headache, and tiredness.

So, no leaving the house to get any supplies for about 10 more days... I'll keep busy with the stuff I've got here... I seem to get a burst of energy a couple of times a day (though yesterday and today... I did not.... LOL )
    I'm sorry to hear Peter. A friend of mine recently had it and the chest heaviness is what was most difficult to deal with for him. Get some rest and take it easy.

Cafepress.com

Get well soon, Peter.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Quote Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post

I'm sorry to hear that Peter! If you feel up to it I would highly recommend trying to do some contact tracing, informing others of your status and the time/day you interacted with them. Stores, people etc. tough but necessary to do all you can to help others while you look after yourself.

As an aside 6 days is totally unacceptable for the purposes of containing a pandemic. Every time you have a cough or fever or sniffles you quarantine for a week? It is ridiculous that the USA still isn't able to provide timely/useful information.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that Peter! If you feel up to it I would highly recommend trying to do some contact tracing, informing others of your status and the time/day you interacted with them. Stores, people etc. tough but necessary to do all you can to help others while you look after yourself.

As an aside 6 days is totally unacceptable for the purposes of containing a pandemic. Every time you have a cough or fever or sniffles you quarantine for a week? It is ridiculous that the USA still isn't able to provide timely/useful information.
    Here in LA county most test results have a turn around time of less than a couple of hours. For those working, like my mother, she gets results back in 20 minutes. I believe it just changes from area to area.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Tom

Hoping you start feeling better fast Peter !
    You have time now , have we talked about your stocking??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I would highly recommend trying to do some contact tracing, informing others of your status and the time/day you interacted with them.
    Yes. I called the restaurants that we had eaten at from the Friday night until Wednesday evening when I was tested, total of 2. I also notified the Home Depot and True Value that I bought a few supplies from. That's about it. Thankfully, we hadn't gone anywhere and I was really focused on the home improvement projects. OF course, we've quarantined from the moment we tested... so today would be starting day 8 of the quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    You have time now , have we talked about your stocking??
    Well, it's going to be four display tanks with the exact same water chemistry and environmental conditions as they are on a central system. Going to do corydoras, plecos, dwarf cichlids and tetras in each tank. Probably keep it simple.. with single types of each in each tank. For example:

Tank 1:
    6 Lemon Tetras
    6 Panda Cories
    4 Blue Rams
    2 Zebra Plecos
    2 Ottocinclus
    4 Cherry Shrimp

Tanks 2 - 4..
    Different Plecos, different corydoras, different shrimp, different tetras, different color variations of Ramirezi (i.e. Powder Blue, Dark Knight, Blue Knight, Gold Ram).

For plants and shrimp... I was kind of hoping that the Desert Aquarist Society located in Tucson AZ would resume in-person monthly meetings where we have swap meets and auctions... So many of the members grow plants and sell/donate trimmings and breed shrimp that they sell/trade. But I think those in-person meetings will wait until past January. I was really pushing to resume them... but of course now that I've contracted Covid... I should probably keep my mouth shut about resuming meetings...

I'm going to be sticking to varieties of fish that I've raised before.... and nothing expensive. The 20L aquariums eliminate Anglefish, Discus or other large cichlids for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Get well soon, Peter.
    So.. Today I am feeling a bit better... but my wife is much worse.... It's her day to take 3 naps... So I'm doing some house cleaning... Some friends were nice enough to make a grocery run for us today, since we haven't been to the store in 8 days. Simple pleasures... I'm sipping on a nice ice-cold Corona at the moment...
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 11-25-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast