ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Albino

Default Albino

I know that one of the pairs of my own breeding I'm working is het for Albino. This pair had wigglers that just came free swimming Thursday. I know that when I looked at the wigglers on the cone that there were albinos but I never even bothered trying to count them because they always go blind and wander the tank aimlessly until they die of starvation.

This time I see no wandering aimlessly but I'm quite sure that I see that at least 3 of the albinos are attached and swimming happily between mom and dad. They are very hard to see. There may or may not be a few more.

I never made this breeding with the intention of producing albinos. I'm actually somewhat turned off by them because they are inherently weak among a few other reasons.

I think that these are alive only due to a mistake I made. I accidently turned the moon light on the Finnex Vivid LED I got from Miranda. I decided to leave it that way and lowered the water level by about 2/3rds because this was a 40 cube and I didn't want 35 wigglers to free swim In such a lot of water and thought that the dim light might help attachment as well. Those are the only reasons I can figure that it did the trick for albinos.

I'm curious to grow to see how these albinos but if I see them wandering aimlessly around the tank it won't break my heart. I will make all my decisions on what I think is best for the majority of the spawn. The Albinos will either sink or swim.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 10-24-2020 at 08:04 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Alibino

Hi Liz

Congrats on getting the fry to attach. From my understanding that's no easy feat with albinos. Can I ask what strain the spawning pair are?

Default Re: Alibino

They're blue Snakeskins with red spots. The blue is very strong. Nobody would mistake them for red snakes. They have varying degrees of spotting. The parents of the pair are a show quality Domestic RSG dad and an excellent quality high bodied blue scorpion with spotting. I did not expect them to be het for albino, but with domestics you never know until you see what they produce.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Albino

If Possible could you please post a pic of the albino fry? Having a visual reference would be a really important reference point.

They're hard to see. I havent stared at the tank today like I did yesterday but I haven't seen any of them. I can tell you that they either are smaller or appear smaller than the non albinos.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Ahh Ok. Hopefully they're still around and stop in front of you long enough to get a pic. Your mentioning of blindness really intrigued me and made me think of a few fry that seemed oblivious to their parents and eventually starve to death. Really important insights as usual Liz.

Thanks.