ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Al's Black Worms question?

Registered Member

Default Al's Black Worms question?

The most expensive fish bait this redneck ever bought, lol!!! Let me say that Mr. Al has earned my future business, fast replies, constant updates, quality product, at the fish think so, what more can anyone want? I've been keeping fish for 35 years but Discus are one I've never kept. Also never fed Australian Freeze Dried Black Worms. I've actually avoided freeze dried anything. Years ago I lost several prize fish due to Freeze Dried Tubiflex worms. The fish ate them before they were fully hydrated and when they absorbed the moisture it corked them up tight. Of course I'm worried about this happening again. However I see people pressing a dried cube against the glass and let their fish pick at it until gone. Is there something special about these worms or the process they have gone through that keeps fish from being corked up?

I'm currently soaking them in a glass of tank water for at least 15 min stirring often to insure they won't swell up any larger once eaten. Being corked up would be a heck of a way to check on out of here!!!!! I've also noticed the water become milky white during this process. I've seen others mention this so I assume it's normal. I thought I would post this question here instead of bothering Al, I'm sure Mondays are busy enough for him. If The Man Himself reads this, thanks Al for the smooth transaction and extremely fast shipping under the current circumstances. To bad you don't sell Ribeye Steaks, can you imagine what they would cost, lol!!!! But like my fish agreed, it's worth every penny, lol!!!!!
    God Bless
    NCH
    220 gal Planted Discus Tank, Large Sump and FX6,Tank Temp 86, Light Beamswork 6500K
    75 Gal Rainbow & Angel Planted Tank,FX4, Temp 80 , Light Finnex 24/7
    40 gal Acrylic Hex Electric Blue Acara Planted Tank, SunSun 303B with UV,Temp 80, Light Finnex 24/7

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Al's Black Worms question?

Just sharing

Will the worms swell up in the stomach of fish

No, they will take water back in but will not increase in size.

https://www.blackworms.com.au/Search...s.asp?Cat=1821

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    The most expensive fish bait this redneck ever bought, lol!!! Let me say that Mr. Al has earned my future business, fast replies, constant updates, quality product, at the fish think so, what more can anyone want? I've been keeping fish for 35 years but Discus are one I've never kept. Also never fed Australian Freeze Dried Black Worms. I've actually avoided freeze dried anything. Years ago I lost several prize fish due to Freeze Dried Tubiflex worms. The fish ate them before they were fully hydrated and when they absorbed the moisture it corked them up tight. Of course I'm worried about this happening again. However I see people pressing a dried cube against the glass and let their fish pick at it until gone. Is there something special about these worms or the process they have gone through that keeps fish from being corked up?

I'm currently soaking them in a glass of tank water for at least 15 min stirring often to insure they won't swell up any larger once eaten. Being corked up would be a heck of a way to check on out of here!!!!! I've also noticed the water become milky white during this process. I've seen others mention this so I assume it's normal. I thought I would post this question here instead of bothering Al, I'm sure Mondays are busy enough for him. If The Man Himself reads this, thanks Al for the smooth transaction and extremely fast shipping under the current circumstances. To bad you don't sell Ribeye Steaks, can you imagine what they would cost, lol!!!! But like my fish agreed, it's worth every penny, lol!!!!!
    God Bless
    NCH
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thanks, anyone else?
    220 gal Planted Discus Tank, Large Sump and FX6,Tank Temp 86, Light Beamswork 6500K
    40 gal Acrylic Hex Electric Blue Acara Planted Tank, SunSun 303B with UV,Temp 80, Light Finnex 24/7

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi NCH, I have been feeding Al's FDBWs for years with no issues with the worms swelling in the body of the fish. I always press the cube against the side of the glass and push some of the air out which helps the cube stay on the glass. The only exception to this is when feeding very small fry with FDBWs fines (basically ground into dust). I soak the fines in water prior to feeding so the fines settle at the bottom of the container.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Just sharing

Will the worms swell up in the stomach of fish

No, they will take water back in but will not increase in size.

https://www.blackworms.com.au/Search...s.asp?Cat=1821
    Been thinking about this, and I must say, it doesn't make sense to me. The freeze drying process causing everything to reduce in size. Many living creatures are made up of water or other liquids the process removes, which of course causes a reduction in size. This also means that when rehydrated the object must increase in size. I guess for now I'm going to play it safe and only feed these worms after they have been in water for a good bit of time. I'm not saying you're wrong just admitting it doesn't add up in my calculator. Later