AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Problems with Leopard. Please help!!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default Problems with Leopard. Please help!!!!

Hi Everyone,
    I have one 60g aquarium with growing 10 discus. (some leopards and albino platinum)
    Recently I have notices the white spots on 3 discus fishes and I have treated with Seachem Cupramine with success.
    At the same time I have noticed the strange appearances on the skin of this discus. As you see when this fish has normal colour (not turning dark) it is very hard to see it. It looks like fadding out the colour at some places on the skin. It is like a white pathes, velvet but can only be seen whe turns black. As you can see sometimes during the day it turns black. Hard breeding but it is decreasing during yesterday and today. After Cupramine of 3-4 days I have cange it in ESHA EXIT that treats fungus and white spots. No success. I increased amount of salt but no changes.The fish eats well.
    Bacteria or Fungus?
    The photos are hte same fish. Please note when the colour is nice the patches on the skin

What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Cupramine, Esha Exit, finish the treatment cycles

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    60g acuarium. Fishes 10 cm each

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Every second day 60% of WC

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Bare bottom, external canister EDEM filter

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Aging the waste water from for 2-3 days, mixing Waste/Ro 25%/75%

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 28oC

- ph 7,2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water (Ro waste)25%

- RO water 75%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    one month ago 2 albino platinums

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    twice beefheart

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    I cannot attach the images because fail to update.
    Try these links

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Default Re: Problems with Leopard. Please help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slaven View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I have one 60g aquarium with growing 10 discus. (some leopards and albino platinum)
    Recently I have notices the white spots on 3 discus fishes and I have treated with Seachem Cupramine with success.
    At the same time I have noticed the strange appearances on the skin of this discus. As you see when this fish has normal colour (not turning dark) it is very hard to see it. It looks like fadding out the colour at some places on the skin. It is like a white pathes, velvet but can only be seen whe turns black. As you can see sometimes during the day it turns black. Hard breeding but it is decreasing during yesterday and today. After Cupramine of 3-4 days I have cange it in ESHA EXIT that treats fungus and white spots. No success. I increased amount of salt but no changes.The fish eats well.
    Bacteria or Fungus?
    The photos are hte same fish. Please note when the colour is nice the patches on the skin

What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Cupramine, Esha Exit, finish the treatment cycles

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    60g acuarium. Fishes 10 cm each

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Every second day 60% of WC

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Bare bottom, external canister EDEM filter

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Aging the waste water from for 2-3 days, mixing Waste/Ro 25%/75%

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 28oC

- ph 7,2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water (Ro waste)25%

- RO water 75%

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    one month ago 2 albino platinums

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    twice beefheart

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    I cannot attach the images because fail to update.
    Try these links

I think is Columnaris. I can see the mouth whitesh. No changes after WC and high ammount of salt (now is one day treatment).

It looks like a case of cross contamination. I'd treat with Furan II according to label instructions. I would increase WC as well. 10 Discus in a 60 is a lot of fish in not a not of water. See if you can't get your nitrate reading closer to 5.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

White spots for me means time for a water change. Your discus are young and 10 4” discus is to many in a 60g. I now have 4 in a 45 and I’m changing the water daily. With what you have you should be doing 80% daily. I think your problem is water. Young fish produce hormones that need to be removed. If you can remove fish and add to a qt tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    White spots for me means time for a water change. Your discus are young and 10 4” discus is to many in a 60g. I now have 4 in a 45 and I’m changing the water daily. With what you have you should be doing 80% daily. I think your problem is water. Young fish produce hormones that need to be removed. If you can remove fish and add to a qt tank.
    Started with Maracyn 2 for all aquarium according to some suggestions from archive, because I ordered Furan 2 but still on the way. Instructions said:
    First day: Add the contents of two packets per 10 gallons of water. Second through fifth day: Add one packet per 10 gallons of water. Repeat this five-day treatment once if needed.
    Do they mean Second day add this dose and until fifth nothing (in total 2 day treatment) or
    every following day (third , forth and fifth day) same as the second?
    They said no WC. Should I do the WC?
    Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Now the fish is darken, but eats well. Breath very heavy. Active

Real Name
    Tom

Can’t help with meds I don’t use them. But as I said your problem is water. You don’t need meds yet you need clean water. 10 in a 60 is way to many. Did you buy these fish together from a online seller or separately?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Can’t help with meds I don’t use them. But as I said your problem is water. You don’t need meds yet you need clean water. 10 in a 60 is way to many. Did you buy these fish together from a online seller or separately?
    I bought them separately, but the problems appear when I introduce one pair of albino platinum (my error: without quarantine). The albinos are ok but this one is only withproblems. From the same source I bought one breeding pair with same symptoms that quiclkly (n 2-3 days showed the same symptoms and died.
    You are right with WC i should do it more often and transfer te fishes in 100g tank, but I have to treat this fish. Discus plague is very quickly. Need to act quickly.
    When the problem occured I did water change every day during 10 days but no improvement.

Please do as I said earlier and treat with Furan II according to label instructions. Up your WC as Tom suggested to 80% daily,
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Please do as I said earlier and treat with Furan II according to label instructions. Up your WC as Tom suggested to 80% daily,
    Thanks Liz, but here in Europe it is hard to find Furan 2 (at least in Spain). Only through internet. I have ordered but it takes time to get it. Now I will always have it stored but still waiting. As I told you I started with Maracyl II but they said no WC.
    What you suggest me . And I am confused with dosis (See above).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Thanks Liz, but here in Europe it is hard to find Furan 2 (at least in Spain). Only through internet. I have ordered but it takes time to get it. Now I will always have it stored but still waiting. As I told you I started with Maracyl II but they said no WC.
    What you suggest me . And I am confused with dosis (See above).
    To explain the procedure.
    1st day Maracyn 2 first day dosis as labeled
    2nd day (I should use tha half dosis according to the label, with No WC. I did 70%WC and dosis like the first day
    3rd day today I used half dosis
    No change. No improvement, not getting worse. The fish eats well, breathing havily.
    Still did not get Furan 2.
    What do you think?Fungus problem? OR still you think is discus plague. I will finish this treatment until day five.
    After that I really do not know.
    Thinkong to transfer it in hospital tank and continue with Furan 2 when I get it.
    Please help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Sorry. Wrong picture. This one is correct one

https://i.postimg.cc/bJ75Dh59/20201031-133848.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Slaven

Sorry. Wrong picture. This one is correct one

https://i.postimg.cc/bJ75Dh59/20201031-133848.jpg
    Coming back to life and its full beauty. After 5 days treatment with Maracyn 2, No WC, repeatng dosis everyday (first day full dosis, other days half dosis)
    Thank for halp
    https://postimg.cc/zVXLMss3

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Happy for ya mate, great news!