AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: High nitrates in tap water

Registered Member

Default High nitrates in tap water

So I知 on a well. When I started my discus tank my well water nitrates were 10-20. I live in central California where I use the same aquifer that local farmers use. Every so often I check my tap water for consistency and my nitrates are now 40. I let it age and rechecked with the same result. I知 wondering if I should bow to an RO tap mix. I do daily 25% water changes in a 75 gallon with 6 discus, 6 skirt tetras and 2 coreys. Fish have been acting fine but I知 just concerned with the long term effect that those nitrate levels will have on the discus. Thanks!

Default Re: High nitrates in tap water

If you're sure of your test kit and it's not out of date I would suggest using RO and reconstitute with enough aged tap to get the nitrates at 10.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

K I’ll try a 75/25 mix and go from there. How would you recommend I adjust the discus to the new water? Should I continue will daily water changes using the new aged ro mix? I’d imagine they’ll get used to it over time. Just don’t want to shock them

Real Name
    Willie

I recommend you take a water sample to LFS and have them confirm the analysis. Such high nitrate levels are problematic for humans, particularly young children.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I recommend you take a water sample to LFS and have them confirm the analysis. Such high nitrate levels are problematic for humans, particularly young children.
    No, they're not.

Real Name
    Willie

EPA limit for nitrate is tap water is 10 mg/liter (10 ppm). From the EPA site: "Infants below the age of six months who drink water containing nitrate in excess could become seriously ill and, if untreated, may die. Symptoms include shortness of breath and blue-baby syndrome."
    Last edited by Willie; 10-29-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Well I called the county cuz we’re on a well. They said nitrate fluctuations are common and that they’ll send someone out to check the aquifer. We don’t drink our tap water (thank God) but I’ve now made the switch to RO/tap. Filling up my aging barrel now and I’m getting the readings I’d expect out of RO. Now I’m gonna go for 75/25 and check all my numbers in 24 hours.