AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Do you advice denitrator use in overcrowded discus tanks?

Registered Member

Default Do you advice denitrator use in overcrowded discus tanks?

Hello.
    Do you recommend denitrator use in overcrowded discus tanks?
    Do they really work?
    Anyone with such an experience?
    Thank you.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Do you advice denitrator use in overcrowded discus tanks?

Nitrates are an indicator that water needs to be changed. There are lots more in the old water than just nitrates. So it wouldn't matter if they worked or not the water would still need to be changed on a regular routine.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Do you advice denitrator use in overcrowded discus tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Nitrates are an indicator that water needs to be changed. There are lots more in the old water than just nitrates. So it wouldn't matter if they worked or not the water would still need to be changed on a regular routine.
    Mervin is correct abt WCs.......especially w overcrowded tanks. Having said that, I do believe that the anaerobic factors of many tanks is often overlooked. WCs coupled w a good anaerobic environment is ideal imho. Anything one can do to fight off high levels NO3 is the goal. While WCs (always including coarse sand vacuuming) are a part of my regimen, my tanks include means for NO3 reduction......pathos roots, algae scrubbers, and....yes, denitrator, matrix, biohome. Bear in mind that anaerobic activity takes a while to get going, but coming as close as possible to a complete Nitrogen Cycle is advantageous in a tank environment. Both aerobic (NH3 and NO2) and anaerobic (NO3) reducing bacteria are ideal in a tank as I see it.

Two more things to consider.
    1. Any overcrowded tank will require MUCH more attention and is more at risk for trouble.
    2. I’ve read abt way too many people trying denitrators and not getting desired results by either using too little of such media/not slowing water movement enough or expecting huge results too quickly. Anaerobic activity takes quite a while to get going......like many weeks.

Finally......WCs are indeed critical. My thinking is I’m going to do all I can to reduce Nitrates with a multi-pronged approach. A fork w one tine is less effective than a fork w four or five.