ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wigglers Advice Wanted

Registered Member

Default Wigglers Advice Wanted

I have two cobalt discus that paired off from a group I purchased and raised from dime size. They are two years old.

This is the fourth time they have laid eggs in a 40B they have to themselves. Previously they ate the eggs. It looked like the male was the instigator.

I placed a cage over the cone and now have wigglers. It's been between 48- 72 hours since the eggs were laid. The female seems more interested in watching the eggs than the male, but he does hang out close by.

1. Should I remove the male and let the female take care of the batch?

2. Should the guard over the cone be removed at some time, or just let the wigglers swim out of the guard when they become free swimming.

The male is the smaller darker fish in the picture.

DSC01847.jpg

Default Re: Wigglers Advice Wanted

leave the cover on until the fry swim out of it. I'd leave both parents in and watch the male carefully. the first day or so.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree with Liz, not that I have any personal experience beyond wigglers myself, lol, but the male seems to be darkening up to attract the fry when they go free swimming...I would drop the water level to the top of the cage to assist the attachment process...

Real Name
    Brian

I would leave both parents in the tank unless one of them proves to be bad. Fry can do a lot of damage to the parents and it's best if the feeding can be spread between the two.

Registered Member

I agree with all the above, also if there are any aggression between the parents or if the dark color of the pair becomes lighter it may be time to remove one of the adults, in some instant I have removed the fry.

GoodLuck!
    Cliff