ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Wigglers But not seen free Swimming

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Unhappy Wigglers But not seen free Swimming

Hello Simply members ...

I have a pair of Discus which is almost 1.5yrs old (Male is Almost 1.4yrs & Female is 1.1Yrs old) they laid eggs almost 5th time. First 2 times the female ate the eggs . 3rd time she laid the eggs in community tank where the TDS is almost above 200 so all eggs turned white & eaten again .... but 4th time I put them in a BB 18" Cube Breeding tank after a few days they laid eggs again & well fertilized too by male (TDS +50) after 55-60 Hrs later , eggs hatched , turned into tiny tadpoles stick on the breeding surface , from this point as written on "discusnada.org" too around 48-56hrs after hatch most of the fries will leave the breeding surface & parents do alot of effort to put them back ...till this point , my discus 4th spawn is also going same but in next 24hrs after the hatch they scattered all over my tank & later on died .... after a week the same pair again spawn , Same things happens till now as 4th spawn , they are now scattered all over tank , this spawn is much better then the previous almost 95% of the eggs hatched . I am now stressed as this is same time where all fries died previously . I am sharing with you guys the schedule of this spawn & the pictures .
    Some Questions :
    1-do I need to feed the parents or the fries at this stage ? ( because i stopped feeding after hatch)
    2-Do the fries start free swimming properly after this stage or they just swim little & then sit back in tank & repeat ?
    3- Parents are now look like not interested , some time look at them when a fry or two will swim , both try to put them in mouth & try to keep them on cone . or this is a normal behavior at this stage maybe ?
    4-today morning i checked & found some fries died but most of them are looking well. BUT they are not swimming just sit back in aquarium bottom & their tail is wiggling .
    5-My aquarium is blue from 4 sides ( Sides , back & bottom ) maybe this color is vibrant enough to attract & lost.
    6- I have a same size another tank which is white from 4 sides , So should I need to shift them there .
    I already did the precautions as on that site & read here too .... that if fries are not attaching to parents ... then i need to lower the water level , Cover half of the tank look like a cave & provide them dark area so they find their parents & other things too ....
    So please tell me guys where i am doing wrong as this is 5th time I & Discus pair is going through this which is so frustrating . or these are all going well & i am reacting too much .
    TimeLapse_3-10-20.jpg
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Wigglers But not seen free Swimming

What you have are droppers, they are underdeveloped lacking or shortage of the adhesive glands. I can see that two to four of these wrigglers are still normal, but the breeding pair will not want to care for them so they will ignore the whole batch. Better luck on the next spawning.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Thanks Cliff for your reply .... so this is the problem .... If it is , then is there any thing you want to tell me to prevent this in next spawn ....
    But today morning while was i checking my other pair which spawn last night , i saw this tank & i was surprised to see that almost 12 to 15 fries are swimming around & they look very active & healthy & one more thing to add here
    last night after your comment i was checking same tank with my mobile flash light & i notice that while i was checking both the parents are in a minute or two kind of get active & its look like they just found their babies ... both are putting fries
    in their mouth & spit them back (I removed the cone last night) seems that they are cleaning them because i put a cube of tubifex worms for them as they didnt eat anything since the spawn (4 days back) . so the remaining of the food is stick the babies from head. After 15 minutes of checking this i was gone for sleep & in the morning i found what i told earlier . Maybe i need to shift them in a white background tank which is same is this but white from 4 sides so both the fries & parent easily find each other or maybe i am wrong what you think CLIFF

Registered Member

What you are seeing is their yolk sac. Once that is depleted is when you need to start feeding them baby brine shrimp, and THEN you will see what a baby angelfish stomach looks like! lol But if they are not free swimming, they probably won't eat it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

update : All of them are now free swimming but attach to the parent only for a minute or two . I am feeding them a mixture of Egg yolk , Moringa Powder , Tubifex Powder ( which is remaining of the tubifex cubes , just make them very fine ) some drops of water ( v. little gelatin mix ) , will update with picture as they are as bigger as my mobile camera can capture them

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

Sorry guys not able to update about that hatch ... i was away ... i had symptoms of corona ... not able to care for that batch .. update is all those fries gone ... & yesterday they spawn again .. hope for the best ...