AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Particulate matter

Registered Member

Default Particulate matter

I am preparing to set up a 75g soon and plan on using a sump filtration system. As this is my first sump, I am leery of its ability to remove any particulate matter due to is surface skimming input. I am also thinking of a corner foam filter to grab more of the finer material out of the water column. I should mention that I plan on a planted tank. Thoughts? Thanks
    Last edited by PNWBILL; 11-05-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Particulate matter

I have a sump on my aquarium and I don't seem to have too much of a problem with particulates, apart from the larger matter coming from my large discus.

I've found that putting a small powerhead (like a Hydor Koralia Nano) near the bottom of the aquarium helps kick up any smaller matter and then my sump handles the smaller particulate. This works extremely well with a BB tank, but mine has sand and the flow is low enough that it doesn't kick up heavier sand.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: Particulate matter

If your sump design includes filter socks, you can go down to 5 micron filters. I have 200 micron socks and a few 100 for when I want to really scrub the water but you can go down to single bacterial cell filtration with a 5 micron if you want but you will be changing socks frequently. I would guess several times a day at 5 microns. If you go with filter socks, buy several sets so you do not have to clean immediately as even with 100-200 micron filters you will probably be changing them every 3-7 days.