AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Open to All; Tues 11/10; Breeding Egg Scatterers; Randy Carey

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Default Open to All; Tues 11/10; Breeding Egg Scatterers; Randy Carey

Open to All; Tues 11/10; Breeding Egg Scatterers; Randy Carey

Hi All,

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (gsas.org) is pleased to invite everyone to our November meeting on Tuesday, November 10th @ 7:00 pm PST. Our November speaker is Randy Carey who will be doing a presentation "Breeding the Scatterers": "Breeding the Scatterers - tetras, barbs, rasboras, Oh My!". The presentation will be on YouTube Livestream: gsas.org/stream

November 10th, 7:00 PM: Randy Carey "Breeding the Scatterers": "Breeding the Scatterers - tetras, barbs, rasboras, Oh My!"

YouTube Open Livestream: gsas.org/stream

Randy Carey is an enthusiastic aquarist and writer. He launched one of the first aquarium sites and authored the first online aquarium blog in the 90s. Randy wrote a quarterly column in TFH magazine (The Art of Characins), traveled to places like the Smithsonian and Amazon to write articles, and was hired to write the book Tetras and Barbs.

Randy's fishroom grew from a few tanks to nearly one hundred -- a portion for display, and a portion for focused breeding. As he transitions into semi-retirement, Randy is spending more time in the fishroom and developing programs for select species.

His presentation will include photos and commentary illustrating the pattern of scattering strategy as practiced by the characins and cyprinids. As the aquarium is ill-suited to the scattering strategy, the focus on the talk is on what the aquarist must do to successfully breed and rear these fish. This is one of the few talks on breeding egg-scatters currently available to aquarium societies, so we hope you will join us for this unique experience!

Registered Member

Default Re: Open to All; Tues 11/10; Breeding Egg Scatterers; Randy Carey

Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to it

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to it
    Hi @captainandy, it should be a good talk from what I have heard from other clubs. -Roy

Registered Member

Thanks, Roy. I attended last month. The meeting flew by and in the end I wondered how 2 hours could seem so short a time. I had told Roy that I attended the very first meeting of the GSAS when the meeting were held at Seattle's Pacific Science Center. Right at the very foot of the Space Needle.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

This sounds interesting Is it also being recording and made available on YT for future viewing?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    This sounds interesting Is it also being recording and made available on YT for future viewing?
    Pat
    Hi Pat,

Possibly, it is up to the speaker how long a talk is available. If they allow it we only leave it up for a few days....then it is gone!
    =Roy

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Pat
    The talk will not be recorded, Pat. Randy and I are old fish friends going on three decades. We both serve on the Board of the Minnesota Aquarium Society (MAS). He and I have reviewed this issue on multiple occasions. What speakers present is their intellectual property and is seldom made publicly available. We do not record the speakers' presentations at MAS, but we do record the ensuing Q&A. Randy would not agree to have his talk recorded for later use.

I'm glad to see GSAS posting their program here. I'll do the same with MAS' monthly speakers. Our program is also open to the public, although attendees have to pre-register to log in.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi All,

Just a reminder for those that need a 'fishy fix' that the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS.org) meeting and presentation on Egg Scatterers is tonight @ 7:00 pm (Pacific Time).....here is the link
    open livestream at gsas.org/stream

Thank you @Willie!
    Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 11-10-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Registered Member

140 attended tonight. Very good presentation. Thanks, Roy, for the invite!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    140 attended tonight. Very good presentation. Thanks, Roy, for the invite!
    Glad you enjoyed it @peewee1. It was the best virtual talk we have had since we started doing this in May. I believe the link will work for 2 or 3 more days for folks who missed it or want to review it again. -Roy