ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Excited new member!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

Default Excited new member!

Hello all, I am excited to apart of the SimplyDiscus forums! Alittle about me, I am 24 and have been keeping fish since I was 12. I by no means consider myself to be an expert and feel like an amateur honestly! I am mostly a freshwater hobbyist and have dabbled a little into brackish. Ive always wanted discus because of the array of "strains" and colors. I recently purchased 6 beautiful super blue base eruptions from discus.com(Michaels customer service is amazing). They are still getting use to my setup and foods, its a slow process, but, im in it for the long haul! I will post some pictures of my fish and their dedicated setup! If you have any questions feel free to ask!
    Thank you again for adding me to the SimplyDiscus forums!
    PS. Ive spent several hours looking through the "Discus grow out challenge" and am fascinated and amazed of the process! awesome stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Excited new member!

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask questions and ALSO provide your insights!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

Thank you Frank!

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome aboard!! Great discus place with lots of info. Good looking discus you got! Many Havnt been that lucky with discus.com. Keep up daily water changes for at least the first month. You may want to deworm them. Hopefully other get on here can give you some medicating advice. How many did you get and what size tank are they in?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

After reading a bit, i have noticed that discus.com may have not been the best place. i do have my doubts these are actual blue base eruptions, but i wont know for sure until they start eating well and put on some size. correct me if i am wrong. i purchased 6- 3.5'' "blue base eruptions, tank size is a 40 gallon breeder with a canister filter and sponge filter. i water change 50% once a day with aged RO water, and vacuum out any left over foods after roughly 20min. i also keep my temps between 82 and 84. i will definitely look into deworming these chaps.

Real Name
    Tom

Since you just got them I would keep the temp higher 84-86. 50% daily is great. I’m doing the same with 5 in a 45. They are nice looking discus. I don’t think they’re eruptions I think they’re leopards. Look tomorrow at Kenny’s add he should have eruptions and leopards. Is this tank for qt? What will be the main tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

For now this is their main tank, i have a 125 that will be their home once i have it set up the way i want it!

Real Name
    Francis

Leopard have nine stress bars whereas leopard snakeskins has between 10-14 stress bars. Snakeskins are characterized by their very fine-line patterning in the face and body.HTH.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome to Simply!! I wasn't going to say anything, but since you already did then I would not have recommended discus.com. But, you appear to have been more fortunate than many other people because those are not bad discus at all. Discus.com does not have fish, he is just a broker. My guess is yours came from Myrtle Beach Discus and they look pretty nice! Feel free to search the forum and ask any questions you may have!!

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome Jon .
    Nice looking fish .
    Many hear get their fish to bulk up on Al's freeze dried Australian blackworms ...
    How often are you feeding and what are you offering them .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

Thank you Brian!. Fyi your grow out challenge was awesome to read through, your fish looked stunning!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

I try to feed 3 times a day. Once early in the morning, usually with a pellet food(bug bites) to keep the water cleaner while I'm at work. Then after work, I feed a homemade fish food.( a recipe i got from King Of DIY)Which is- 1lb pound beef heart, 1lb tilapia, 1lb raw shrimp, 1lb leafy greens(spinach and romaine lettuce), 4oz container of gerber organic peas, astaxanthin, and spirulina. Then, a little snack before bed( typically frozen brine shrimp). Waiting on my LFS to get some live blackworms in as well. Going with a variety of foods to keep them healthy. They devour the homemade food!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

yes a little photo shoot, everyone seems to be settling in nicely. the last one is bullied and doesnt eat much, also all of its fins are crooked( not a very good quality fish) but everyone else looks great!
    20201110_180443.jpg20201110_180439.jpg20201110_180347.jpg20201110_180315.jpg20201109_160613.jpg20201109_161024.jpg

Registered Member

Greetings! I am a new member here and I am excited to be part of this awesome forum group. :")