ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Prazipro + metro

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

Default Prazipro + metro

Hi all, about 6ish weeks ago, I had a case of what I think was gill flukes(scratching and flashing). I treated the entire tank with 4 doses of prazipro every 4 days. This cleared up the issue, but it came back about 10 days ago, so I decided to do it again but for a longer time to make sure no eggs remain.

A couple of my discus have not been eating well, so I moved them to a hospital tank to keep a better eye on them. Yesterday I noticed white poop in the hospital tank so I’m thinking about also dosing with metro.

I’ve been doing water change every 3 days and applying the prazipro right after the water change. If I were to treat with metro, I would like to run that for 10 days with water changes every day in the hospital tank. How should I go about redosing with prazipro? Should I add back whatever is removed with the water changes every day?

I want to be very careful and not stress the fish out too much with over medicating them, but also don’t want them to die from starvation. The ones in the hospital tank will usually nibile at the food then spit it back out.

Any advice would be appreciated with mixing these two meds together.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Prazipro + metro

From a reliable source post #9
    If your intent is to worm the fish, then there is no need to continue with the prazi for more than two days. The only thing the prazi will do for you in this regard is to rid your fish of tapeworms, in which case a two day dose is more than adequate. If your trying to treat for flukes, then the metro is pointless. So, if worms dose both at full strenght and discontinue the praze after the seccond day, continueing with the metro for a full ten days. You will however need to do a followuP.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...metro-together
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

Most discus hobbyists prefer to use potassium permanganate to treat gill flukes.Treatment Day 1, 4 and 8 [3 x to break a cycle].

: Using Potassium Permanganate aka PP

To Make A Stock Solution:

Throughly wash and dry a 1 liter (1000 mL) poly soda bottle.
    Fill the bottle half full of hot tap water.
    Add two and one-half (2-1/2) LEVEL TEAspoons (about 15 grams) of PP to the bottle.
    Cap the bottle and shake very well for one minute.
    Let the resulting purple-black solution stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Shake occasionally.
    Invert the bottle and inspect the bottom and sides for any PP crystals which have not dissolved. Continue shaking until all have dissolved.
    Top-off the bottle with additional tap water (hot, cold, warm... no matter) and shake once more to mix.

When potassium permanganate is active, water turns a purple color. potassium permanganate is deactivated by organic matter and makes the water brown,it may be necessary to increase the amount added to the tank.Four hours treatment each time for eradicate gill flukes.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Most discus hobbyists prefer to use potassium permanganate to treat gill flukes.Treatment Day 1, 4 and 8 [3 x to break a cycle].

: Using Potassium Permanganate aka PP

To Make A Stock Solution:

Throughly wash and dry a 1 liter (1000 mL) poly soda bottle.
    Fill the bottle half full of hot tap water.
    Add two and one-half (2-1/2) LEVEL TEAspoons (about 15 grams) of PP to the bottle.
    Cap the bottle and shake very well for one minute.
    Let the resulting purple-black solution stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Shake occasionally.
    Invert the bottle and inspect the bottom and sides for any PP crystals which have not dissolved. Continue shaking until all have dissolved.
    Top-off the bottle with additional tap water (hot, cold, warm... no matter) and shake once more to mix.

When potassium permanganate is active, water turns a purple color. potassium permanganate is deactivated by organic matter and makes the water brown,it may be necessary to increase the amount added to the tank.Four hours treatment each time for eradicate gill flukes.
    Francis, you need to include more information here regarding dosing. I attached the PDL which explains the stock solution and dosing.

Potassium Permanganate.pdf

Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 11-09-2020 at 10:08 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Francis

Thanks Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Francis, you need to include more information here regarding dosing. I attached the PDL which explains the stock solution and dosing.

Potassium Permanganate.pdf

Pat
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

Thank you Francis and Pat! I had read that forum but the first time I ordered PP and prazi, the prazi came almost a month before the PP so I decided to try it out instead.

I now have PP on hand along with metro. In this case, would it be safe to run both medications simultaneously? If not, I’ll do the metro treatment first for 10 days, give them a short break, then continue with the recommended PP treatment.

No. Wipe down the tank, do a big WC and then do the PP. Give the fish a few day's rest, raise the temp to 90 and do the Metro at 500mg pure metro per 10 gallons of water. I like to go 12 days but 10 days should do the job. Add more air during both treatments.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

Thank you. I’ll do just that!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RGDiscus View Post
    Thank you. I’ll do just that!
    Be sure to read the instructions in the PDF Robert, you only want to do 2ppm. A PP bath lasts 4 hours.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

So I did the PP treatment, but with the recommended 20 drops for 10 gallon of water, it didn’t get to the purplish pink color. It was more of a brown color. I was afraid of adding more as I didn’t want to burn the fish.

Would it be okay to add more PP solution next time until I achieve pinkish purple color?

I put the fish in a new 10 gallon tank with new water so there was no organic material in there.