AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Egg status... lots of spawns, not wrigglers

Registered Member damian_ireland's Avatar

Default Re: Egg status... lots of spawns, not wrigglers

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Damian, take a read thru this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ters-for-Wilds.
    Pat
    Thanks. Read through. I dont have GH/KH tests at the moment, but will get some and report.
    I think they are going to spawn again today so I have turned down the filter flows and will try to ensure I get to check the tubes.

ok, they spawned again today and i got some vids. It looks like a male and female to me. Might be that male needs more practice ?

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 11-16-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Removed the "s" from "https" to embed vid.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Damian, I think you have a pair but the male is either preoccupied with you doing the video or he is a bit lazy/confused. He should be doing his runs right after the female. Some ideas, lower the light and add some rooibos tea to darken the water. Let them totally alone so the male can focus on his job.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Damian, I think you have a pair but the male is either preoccupied with you doing the video or he is a bit lazy/confused. He should be doing his runs right after the female. Some ideas, lower the light and add some rooibos tea to darken the water. Let them totally alone so the male can focus on his job.
    Pat
    Hi Pat, I do think he was distracted but I wanted to try to make sure he was a "he". maybe it is just he needs more practice. I shall leave them in peace the next time, will also dim the lights and add some rooibos(i remember reading your threads about it years ago). I will have a kh/gh test kit later this week and will check and post then.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Did you remove the other fish as well? Several ppl suggested it in this thread...I really think if you're serious about breeding these guys you should give them their own space...

Registered Member

Did you place a mesh over the eggs? From my experience some males have a very low
    sperm count, or some males will only make
    one or a few runs over the eggs.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Did you remove the other fish as well? Several ppl suggested it in this thread...I really think if you're serious about breeding these guys you should give them their own space...
    I had moved them into a tank by themselves (a 20g) and they spawned only once in 3 weeks and did not look happy. I have 8 tetras and 4 baby geos in the tank with them with is a 90G tank. I would be happy to move the other fish on but I really dont think they are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Did you place a mesh over the eggs? From my experience some males have a very low
    sperm count, or some males will only make
    one or a few runs over the eggs.

Cliff
    I did that with the last batch when I saw the female starting to eat them. Left them for a couple more days but no development.

they spawned again yesterday. I had added some tannins to the water, turned down the filters and let them alone.
    eggs today - look like its more of the same.
    discus 22Nov.jpg

So you have never seen not one single wiggler out of any of the spawns yet? Regardless, if it wasn't for a pair I had in the past year man I never would have thought I had a male and female after the amount of spawns without one single wiggler. Finally, once they got back into another cycle of spawning over and over again then I noticed each van starting to have more and more fertilized eggs and hatchlings. I would just say, don't change a thing. Give it time. I do think they both look fully mature but that's a guess at best. Could be a stud who is way ahead of his peers yet still shooting blanks. But if you do look closely during the next spawn and see eggs coming out of both, which I doubt because it looks like normal sized spawns, then keep letting them do their thing because that is an absolute beautiful tear and how do I deserve a longer. Of time to get it right in my opinion! Love that pair and as long as they're happy then there's nothing wrong with that.
    -Elliot

and another spawn on Saturday, but more of the same I think. Another video taken without disturbing them though
    https://youtu.be/aKzu1BlMOHI
    Last edited by damian_ireland; 11-30-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by damian_ireland View Post
    and another spawn on Saturday, but more of the same I think. Another video taken without disturbing them though
    https://youtu.be/aKzu1BlMOHI
    Hi Damian, tell me about your water and your water change schedule. The pair seems mature enough and I doubt the male is infertile.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hi Damian, tell me about your water and your water change schedule. The pair seems mature enough and I doubt the male is infertile.
    Pat
    Hi Pat
    Fish are currently in a 350 litre tank. I do a 40% water change every 4/5 days.
    I use a HMA filter even though my tap water is good.(https://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/a...01.html#SID=26)
    I just this morning got my PH meter calibrated(needed calibration fluids) so I can now say with confidence
    pH= 6.5
    KH=2
    GH=5
    TDS=90

In terms of filtration in the tank. I run 2 x JBL 1501 Greenlines and also have a UV Filter.

Other points to note. I had other discus in this tank until recently. They spawned and had wrigglers. I moved them on to accomdate the wilds. I also had Geos spawn in this tank, they were also moved on along with around 100 fry...

My thoughts
    I dont think its the water
    I do think they are male and female
    I dont think its the other fish distracting them(Although I am trying to get another tank setup again)
    Which I think leaves 3 options

1. The male is not fertile '- unlikely given its a wild fish
    2. Something wrong with the females eggs - unlikely given its a wild fish
    3. The male is not mature - maybe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123