ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: HELP!! Whats going on with my discus darting around tank into glass?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default HELP!! Whats going on with my discus darting around tank into glass?

Hello, My discus has been shooting around tank and banging into glass, its worrying. I've read up and I thought it could be flukes maybe ?

link to vid- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dpu...ew?usp=sharing

Default Re: HELP!! Whats going on with my discus darting around tank into glass?

If it's what I think it is it's called whirling disease. Nobody knows the cause. As far as I know, never having dealt with it myself, it is fatal.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: HELP!! Whats going on with my discus darting around tank into glass?

Thanks for your help, I've watched a few vids and I think your correct

I'm sorry.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I wasn't able to view your video but if your discus is whirling in circles along with the darting, it is fatal. If just darting, it can recover from it. I had one that darted but not did the whirling and it recovered to even spawn multiple times. Another one of mine darted and whirled, this one did not survive.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks for the help guys, it hasn’t made it through the night

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Sorry Daniel

Real Name
    Mervin

This was posted just a few days ago on this site. https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.co...erebralis.html

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    This was posted just a few days ago on this site. https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.co...erebralis.html
    wow, did not know that. Thank you.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

I'm not sure if this is true any more. Once upon a time tubifex from sewer water were collected and sold. These days tubifex are raised in farm. They have been purged of any naties they may carry before they're sold.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I remember reading this years ago. The only problem is that there have been many reported cases of whirling disease in discus that have never been fed tubifex. It would be nice to know exactly which oligochaete worm is responsible and it has other hosts - there are over 3500 species.

It would be interesting to see a side by side analysis of a tubifex and a black worm since it's claimed that black worms don't carry parasites...

It sure would be, Brian.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I never heard live black worms don’t carry disease. I always found them deadly to discus. Stoped feeding them in the 90s. Since joining this thread and finding Als freeze dried I am again feeding black worms. But only Als. I wouldn’t recommend any live worms. Even frozen blood worms daily are no good and have been associated to hith.