ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Trace

Registered Member JennaLuvsDiscus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jenna

Default Discus Trace

Hey All!

Do any of you use Discus Trace, and recommend it or not? I was thinking of using it, but would like to know what you all think. If you notice any benefits, etc.

I am about to get my very first discus

Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus Trace

I have not heard of it but I buy all fish from forum sponsors. That all have been vetted and have thousands of positives feed backs. Why try the unknown when all you would need at fair prices is right here in the sponsors section of the forum?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

It is a product from Seachem to add trace elements that are beneficial to Discus. I was dubious but I purchased a bottle only to see that contains it copper sulfates which are harmful to shrimp and snails, both of which I have in my Discus tanks. I don't see the need for it.

Real Name
    Mervin

Never used it, but folks that use RO water, use it to put minerals back in the water. But a lot mix RO and tap water.

Observation has taken me to conclude that Discus get the minerals they need from their food, not their water.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Observation has taken me to conclude that Discus get the minerals they need from their food, not their water.
    So true, especially when they evolved and thrive in a natural environment with super soft water containing no dissolved minerals.

Ours is an industry that has essentially no regulatory oversight. Manufacturers know that there are no consequences to making any outlandish claims whatsoever. Discus minerals, phosphate buffers, bacterial start cultures...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Adding a chemical to replace what was lost with a daily water change would get expensive after a time. Considering the number of years that I have kept discus the only chemical added to the water was Prime with each change and meds when needed to treat a disease.

Real Name
    Jenna

Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it! I am using RO water and don't want to be adding chemicals. I thought it was more of a natural additive that was perhaps beneficial to their overall heath. Glad I asked. I appreciate this forum and the advice of those in the hobby for so long, its been extremely helpful to a newbie like me.

Hey Peewee1 - I bought a variety six pack of discus from Kenny's November shipment!! I'm so excited, I've wanted to have discus for soooo long. I hope it goes well!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JennaLuvsDiscus View Post
    Thank you everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it! I am using RO water and don't want to be adding chemicals. I thought it was more of a natural additive that was perhaps beneficial to their overall heath. Glad I asked. I appreciate this forum and the advice of those in the hobby for so long, its been extremely helpful to a newbie like me.

Hey Peewee1 - I bought a variety six pack of discus from Kenny's November shipment!! I'm so excited, I've wanted to have discus for soooo long. I hope it goes well!
    Jenna, I have never purchased a discus from anyone but Kenny. None better in my opinion. Which did you order?

Registered Member

I use it. I only use RO water so I figured it replaces important trace minerals. Just my OP thanks Ed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I looked into using trace and the other discus water additives, but at the end of the day it made sense logistically and financially to just mix 80%RO/20%tap.

Real Name
    Jenna

Thank you Ed and Jay, I appreciate your opinions! I only use RO like Ed, I worry about adding even a smaller amount of tap due to the chlorine in it. Though adding trace will get pricey. I'm torn on this. But as Liz noted about getting their minerals from food, not water, maybe I'm good without using it.

Thank you All!

Real Name
    Jenna

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Jenna, I have never purchased a discus from anyone but Kenny. None better in my opinion. Which did you order?
    That is wonderful to hear peewee1, thank you so much!!

He seems to be highly recommended and boy does he have the most beautiful and healthy looking discus I've ever seen for sale. And the fact he sells out so fast says a lot as well. I feel good I made the right choice now going with him for my first discus! Had I not found this forum, I probably wouldn't have discovered him.

I really love different colors and patterns and chose for my school...

HB Blue Carnation
    Super Pigeon Snakeskin
    Yellow White
    HB Blue Tiger Turquoise
    Mosaic Turquoise
    Red Heckel Cross

I'm starting this hobby small, with a 75 gallon, make sure I can do this, lol. If this goes well, I hope to upgrade in couple years to much larger tank. Then add more of the exotic strains he sells. His selection is incredible!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JennaLuvsDiscus View Post
    That is wonderful to hear peewee1, thank you so much!!

He seems to be highly recommended and boy does he have the most beautiful and healthy looking discus I've ever seen for sale. And the fact he sells out so fast says a lot as well. I feel good I made the right choice now going with him for my first discus! Had I not found this forum, I probably wouldn't have discovered him.

I really love different colors and patterns and chose for my school...

HB Blue Carnation
    Super Pigeon Snakeskin
    Yellow White
    HB Blue Tiger Turquoise
    Mosaic Turquoise
    Red Heckel Cross

I'm starting this hobby small, with a 75 gallon, make sure I can do this, lol. If this goes well, I hope to upgrade in couple years to much larger tank. Then add more of the exotic strains he sells. His selection is incredible!!

I first discovered Kenny from a recommendation from long time breeder of discus and angelfish. I had a hard time deciding on which fish to order because I had not paid attention to discus from the time only wild were available. Three years ago I discovered the evolution to hybrid fish. I ordered much the same as you but I asked Kenny why no wild fish. He had none listed. He said tell you what I do have a fish for you so let's swap one for one. He send me an Alenquer. Close enough to wild for me. From then on I have only ordered the wild cross from Kenny. Then about 6 months ago I was conversing with Forrest about breeding and I told him that I was looking for something differed. He said that he would send something to Kenny for me. So I asked Kenny that when those fish came in. I think he got 4? That I needed a female because I had too many males. He said that he would try. I got the fish, it was a female and she spawned 6 days after she arrived. All I can tell you is that Forrest will always send the nicest fish and Kenny will give to you better than Nordstom class service.

Real Name
    Jenna

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I first discovered Kenny from a recommendation from long time breeder of discus and angelfish. I had a hard time deciding on which fish to order because I had not paid attention to discus from the time only wild were available. Three years ago I discovered the evolution to hybrid fish. I ordered much the same as you but I asked Kenny why no wild fish. He had none listed. He said tell you what I do have a fish for you so let's swap one for one. He send me an Alenquer. Close enough to wild for me. From then on I have only ordered the wild cross from Kenny. Then about 6 months ago I was conversing with Forrest about breeding and I told him that I was looking for something differed. He said that he would send something to Kenny for me. So I asked Kenny that when those fish came in. I think he got 4? That I needed a female because I had too many males. He said that he would try. I got the fish, it was a female and she spawned 6 days after she arrived. All I can tell you is that Forrest will always send the nicest fish and Kenny will give to you better than Nordstom class service.
    Thank you for sharing your discus journey, you've really made me feel good about purchasing from Kenny! Sounds like he really goes above and beyond! That's really great he was able to get you a female as well. I'm a tad worried I may end up with a school of 5 males to 1 female or some combo that may cause issues. Finger's crossed though it all works out.

I would love to see a pic of your discus, especially the wild you're referring to. I bet it's gorgeous!

I just replied to Kenny and requested Friday for my shipment!!

Thank you peewee1!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast