AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Python syphon/tank filler

Real Name
    Megan

Default Python syphon/tank filler

Hello all SD!!

I have a question about the Python (and other brands) tank filler/siphon. I'm seriously considering buying one but have some worries. I love the idea of being able to fill my tanks without lugging buckets and buckets of water as it is brutal with water changes. I have multiple tanks and on my big ones like the 150 even a 25% water change is like hitting the gym for a few hours lol
    Here's my worry though, if the water is coming straight from the sink, it's not aged nor treated, how is this dealt with? Especially with fish as sensitive as our Discus? I normally do and RO tap water mix as my tap water is very hard and runs around 8.5 pH!!! I keep my tanks around 6.2-6.5pH. The RO plus additives (Discus Buffer etc) helps.
    So what to do? The idea of adding water straight from the tap sounds horrifying but it would make my life SO much easier with all the water changes I do. Are there other options? Can I treat as I add or is that too risky and will it shock my fish? Does any one else use these? Or do you know of another option to make adding water back a little easier?
    I have tried using my siphons backwards to pump my prepped water into the tanks but can't get my buckets high enough to make that work, either... At least not without causing a mess lol
    Please let me know your thoughts or what helps you guys add water to large and or multiple tanks that isn't as back breaking.
    Thanks in advance!

Megan

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Python syphon/tank filler

I use a water pump to add water back to the display tank.

.5fe8e72f.JPG
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

I add water directly from the tap. I add prime and nothing else. I only keep fully grown discus and do not notice any negative effects.
    I do not know whether or not this would hold true for fry.
    What is the specific reason that you are adding RO water and keeping the pH so low?
    I could see using RO for top off.
    I am forbidden to use RO because of years of spills and overflows.

Real Name
    Willie

You live in Colorado so the water coming in the tap in the Winter will be supersaturated with gas. It'll need to be degassed through aeration. Otherwise, your fish will get the bends as the gas come out of solution when warmed. I've lost more discus, particularly fry, this way then I care to remember.

In order to change water, it needs to be conditioned - degassed with simple mixing. I fill storage tanks and run an airstone for 24 hours to change water. Yes, you need storage tanks to change water. If you live in milder climates, then degassing is probably not necessary. (I live in Minnesota and half of my tankage in the fishroom is allocated for water storage/treatment.) Alternatively, you can change a small amount of tap water (no more than 20%), but that really defeats the purpose of water changes.

If you have hard water, the storage tank is the ideal place for mixing. Otherwise, water hardness is fluctuating during water changes and stressful to the fish.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

i wouldn't use straight tap. i have long ago, but not anymore. i age water in a barrel, then i used a sump pump connected to garden hose, SO much better than buckets.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I use a python to do my sand vacuuming, drain water from the tank and refill my aging barrel.

I have used water straight from the tap with a water conditioner before without any issues, but only in a pinch. During those times I didn't see any adverse effects on the fish. I still prefer to age the water 24 hours with an airstore/circulation pump.

If you can use straight tap greatly depends on your water parameters. My water comes out with a TDS around 120 and PH of 7.6, but yours might be very different. You said yours come out of the tap at 8.5, have you tried to age it to see what is settles out to after 24 hours?

Real Name
    Megan

Exactly! And Colorado keeps raising their pH and hardness.. Out of my tap the pH is 8.5!!!
    I have found a blend of TO with tap gives me a good balance but I have to prep the water, the tap water tests pretty scary. And yds, the water is very hard too.
    The fluctuations are exactly was I was worried about.
    I also have half a fish room dedicated just to water storage and my back hates me lol
    I do like the above idea of using a pump to pull my prepped water into my rank instead of having to heft it.. Regular syphons don't work as I can't get my storage ranks high enough,, so I'd be happy with a system that will pull the water and caving from lifting bucket after bucket.. (I have to pre mix RO with tap plus additives) Any one know a decent pump that could do that?

Real Name
    Megan

Aging it isn't the issue,, I prep all my water. My comment was me not feeling comfortable putting straight tapwater into my tanks via the Python as my water is treated aged and mix with RO. My tap water is awful awful stuff.

Real Name
    Megan

Loving this idea. I can't tell you how sick I am of hedging buckets. Lol. So thank you,
    I'll start looking for a sump/pump that will fit in my buckets and move water into my tanks!!! Yay!

Real Name
    Megan

���� Perfect!

Real Name
    Jake

I use something similar to this Superior Pump for adding water back to the aquarium.

Real Name
    Megan

Ooh! I love it! It's just the right size to fit in my buckets, too, thank you!

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Honestly, If I lived in an area where I had to fight with the water as a lot of you do here on the forum, I WOULD NOT have aquariums!
    It would just not be worth the effort to me.
    I feel sorry for you.
    If it were me, I would find another hobby.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    I use something similar to this Superior Pump for adding water back to the aquarium.
    Great to see standard sump pumps work just as well. I've always wondered why we buy "aquarium" pumps at a premium. Sump pumps come up for sale once a year at Menard's here.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

I usually get my aquarium supplies from Ken Menard ex SD sponsor @ https://kensfish.com/
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast