ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Python syphon/tank filler

Real Name
    Megan

Default Re: Python syphon/tank filler

Update; I got a 'NO.1 NY Aquarium DIY multifunctional pump' and I LOVE it! I cab syphon while adding clean water simultaneously, meaninf mybwater level doesn't fluctuate, less stress on the fish and a notable improvement on post WC stressors. Notbthe fanciest on the market, but boy does it work just fine.
    Lots of choices out there, brands, styles so you'll easily find one that suits your needs and likes.
    Nice break from bucket lifting and less mess from spillage. I'm a fan. Shortened and streamlined maintenance in a very successful way.
    Figured I'd share my personal experience since this is my first time trying one of these.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeganJK View Post
    Such a simple but exceedingly important point. What worksbfor one isn't going to work for all, especially with something like water that can vary vastly even from county to county, let alone state and or country.
    For me, personally, I cannot use tap water alone, though I do mix it with the RO. I have about dozen 5 gal buckets and a few 3gal that I use for mixing, dosing, and aging water. Not difficult to lift or anything, but it does become laborious and time consuming. The entire idea of my OP was interest in a possible easier way that didn't entail using water directly from the tap.
    I have been given that solution and am very happy about it, but would have been fine if I had to continue doing as I had been.
    I think we all have something like that, keeping large tanks, expensive, delicate fish can be hard work sometimes.
    Totally worth it.
    Oh! I did find this siphon that can add clean water from a prepared bucket WHILE siphoning at the same time. Take dirty water/detritus from the bottom, add your clean prepped water to the top.
    Seems genius, if it works.
    Unfortunately the motor itself has to remain submerged so you couldn't completely empty your prepped bucket. I like the concept of the idea but I'd like to see a more reliable company make something similar.
    Anyone have thoughts on this, or heard of it? It has multiple uses, as well.
    It's cheap so I'm seriously considering trying it out, if I do, I'll report on it. I think it was called the McGrady siphon set. I'm now searching for similar styles from various brands.
    And don't get me wrong, I pass zero judgment on those that use tap water even with high pH, etc etc because it works for them, so that's great.
    For me personally, I keep my water parameters of soft, low pH water. The RO mixture greatly reduces the amount of additives I need.
    Any and every way people choose to care for their Discus, that works, is great.
    I love this site because of all the experience, ideas, and help. Because we all get it, the work and sacrifice, regardless of various methods used.
    I think the important question here however is have you ever tried not using RO or additives? Plenty of people keep discus in harder water without issue. I do agree with you, it's totally cool for people to raise their fish however they see fit, it's a hobby after all. So I'm not knocking it at ALL. I'm just curious because you mentioned that you can't go without this process because of your water. Is there anything else about the water that's an issue? Also, hope this isn't offensive, just curiously asking--given everything you do for your fish I am sure that your fish are in extremely great care.

link?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123