ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Python syphon/tank filler

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Python syphon/tank filler

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Great to see standard sump pumps work just as well. I've always wondered why we buy "aquarium" pumps at a premium. Sump pumps come up for sale once a year at Menard's here.
    I agree - I originally used a large aquarium pump similar to what Francis uses but found the form factor was too large for a 5 gallon bucket (not usually an issue) and it was fairly slow to transfer my 40 some odd gallons of water from my aging bin to the aquarium. When I first started things up last year, I was spending 60-75 minutes performing a 35g water change, from the time of emptying my aquarium to filling it back up. I switched to the Superior Pump and my water changes now only take about 15 and I'm a much happier fishkeeper because of it. The only thing you need to watch out for when using sump pumps is that you want one that is sealed such as the thermoplastic ones from superior. A lot of the pumps I found online or in hardware stores were either cast iron or some other high grade steel (which was more expensive) and had some oiled bearings that I didn't want potentially fouling my water.

Real Name
    Megan

Thanks again all! These are all very helpful replies. I did some further research and found some pumps that will be a huge help! (Though I think my arms have gotten bigger from bucket lifting lol) I was really concerned about the whole Python thing and you guys solved my problem and gave me a great idea, too! Thanks again, all of you! And AquaNerd, really good points to look for, I was worried about ones that weren't fish specific have components that could taint the water

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    Honestly, If I lived in an area where I had to fight with the water as a lot of you do here on the forum, I WOULD NOT have aquariums!
    It would just not be worth the effort to me.
    I feel sorry for you.
    If it were me, I would find another hobby.
    That's an odd way to see it. I love the hobby immensely, and the work involved is part of the joy. My question here was only to find a possible way of doing something easier. I don't know of anyone who has multiple large tanks that doesn't need to work at it, especially with fish like Discus. Hard work isn't a bad thing. Ifbit were a problem, I wouldn't be doing it. I'm just surprised by such a negative response to such a simple thing. Large tanks need large water changes, it's just howbit works. I chose to keep large aquariums and chose the work that goes with it. Quit keeping fish because I wanted to know about the Python water syphon... *smh*

Real Name
    Marcus

I have that Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP as well. It works great for draining and filling my tanks money well spent.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by MeganJK View Post
    That's an odd way to see it. I love the hobby immensely, and the work involved is part of the joy. My question here was only to find a possible way of doing something easier. I don't know of anyone who has multiple large tanks that doesn't need to work at it, especially with fish like Discus. Hard work isn't a bad thing. Ifbit were a problem, I wouldn't be doing it. I'm just surprised by such a negative response to such a simple thing. Large tanks need large water changes, it's just howbit works. I chose to keep large aquariums and chose the work that goes with it. Quit keeping fish because I wanted to know about the Python water syphon... *smh*
    I am not referring to the work. I love the work in an aquarium. Always have. I love WCs. I love vacuuming out the tank. I love cleaning the glass. i have done that all my life. I am referring to aging water in tanks, buffering water, change the plumbing in my house so I can have RO water. And all of these things have to be done with each water change. For some it seems a WC is a 5 step process. Just seems to be swimming upstream to me.

I am also not saying that they should quit the hobby. Just saying if I had to do all of that, it would not be worth it to me. You get out of a hobby what you put into the hobby. It is quit simple in that way. I have X amount of heart I put into fish keeping and it is much more than some but not nearly as much as others. We have 5 tanks here. 3 of them house discus. 2 of them are 112 gallons. I have a lot of maintenance to do and a lot of WCs. I love all of it too. Not complaining at all about the work. But if my water source and quality was not as it is, I would not be doing it.

We have done marine aquariums for years. I even designed and built a water chilling system for them. We had Koi outside in CA in 8.5 PH. Other than a few black spots on our Kohakus due to the high PH we were quite successful. We even had wild type discus in the 70s, long before all the colors were available and did well with them in 8.5 PH with weekly WCs. Oh and kept them with angelfish as well. SO we have been around the block a few times. I guess I love it because I am still changing water. BTW, I do it all with the Python system. It is all I use.
    Last edited by Vinni Smith; 12-14-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    R V

I am not referring to the work. I love the work in an aquarium. Always have. I love WCs. I love vacuuming out the tank. I love cleaning the glass. i have done that all my life. I am referring to aging water in tanks, buffering water, change the plumbing in my house so I can have RO water. And all of these things have to be done with each water change. For some it seems a WC is a 5 step process. Just seems to be swimming upstream to me.

I am also not saying that they should quit the hobby. Just saying if I had to do all of that, it would not be worth it to me. You get out of a hobby what you put into the hobby. It is quit simple in that way. I have X amount of heart I put into fish keeping and it is much more than some but not nearly as much as others. We have 5 tanks here. 3 of them house discus. 2 of them are 112 gallons. I have a lot of maintenance to do and a lot of WCs. I love all of it too. Not complaining at all about the work. But if my water source and quality was not as it is, I would not be doing it.

We have done marine aquariums for years. I even designed and built a water chilling system for them. We had Koi outside in CA in 8.5 PH. Other than a few black spots on our Kohakus due to the high PH we were quite successful. We even had wild type discus in the 70s, long before all the colors were available and did well with them in 8.5 PH with weekly WCs. Oh and kept them with angelfish as well. SO we have been around the block a few times. I guess I love it because I am still changing water. BTW, I do it all with the Python system. It is all I use.

I happen to agree with you Vin. I think the whole water change thing can sometimes get out of hand. Condition the water with Prime right from the tap and make sure it is the same temp the fish are accustomed to. That's it. Whatever you start with for PH just don't mess with it. Fish will adapt and once they adapt you do not have to mess with a ten step process. What they don't like are huge changes to their parameters... so if you start off with all the mumbo jumbo then it is harder to simplify. I do not understand why people on this forum get so worked up about dissenting opinions. I equate fish keepers who over complicate things to the beer hipsters who make drinking a simple beer annoying... "this IPA was a 90 minute vs the 120 brah.. you can really taste difference in the hoppiness of the hops." No you can't and your fish wont spontaneously combust if you don't use RO water that has been aged to perfection in an oak barrel.

And before everyone jumps down my throat... I am partially kidding. I use humorous metaphors to illustrate points but I do believe in keeping things simple to maximize enjoyment of the hobby.
    Last edited by chevyvega927; 12-15-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Real Name
    Marcus

I was freaking out once I decided to start keeping discus. I was very concerned about the PH here in Colorado. After reading on the forums I decided to leave my water the way it is. I'm very glad I did that because it removed all the stress and worry I had before I started. I do have a RO/DI system setup if I need it to breed. Seems to me these fish are more resilient than they were years ago. I appreciate that this forum exist, I have found answers to the questions I had about keeping discus. Lots of knowledge here and I would also like to thank many of the members. It has helped with my overall experience with these beautiful fish.

The pump mentioned for the water changes has been a game changer for sure. I use to use 5 gallon deep rock containers to change my water with a syphon and that was a pain. I would have used a Python but I didn't like the idea of wasting water. Anyway get that pump Megan you will be so pleased.

Real Name
    Megan

I'm happy you have great water, that certainly makes some things easier, but every Discus owner has a "something" they need to make adjustments for, it all comes down to the personal feelings on what you're willing to do about the issues, and whether or not they're worth it. For me, personally, the adjustments needed for my water aren't even a blip on my radar.
    I did consider adding an RO system to my house system but we have a fantastic distilled water system already added, which I do use from time to time, it's just very slow. Also, my husband happens to work at the facility where we get the jugs of RO water that cost a few cents to refill. I also have filled with my buckets just fine since day one, even with my scrawny arm and shortness😅
    Everyone needs to take stock of theirs cons versus pros. My pros far outweigh any cons. I have it down to a science at this point, too, and my water adjustments are easy and quick. The pumps I've found will simply make the process that much easier. Heck, in the spring two of my tanks I can siphon water directly into a very happy garden!🌱
    One persons "too much" is anothers average maintenance.
    Has it been annoying the Denver area cranked up the pH and hardness of the water, for every fish owner and shop owner? You betchya. But we all adjusted quickly.
    I'm sure I have a limit of a "too much" but like most folks here, this isn't just a hobby, it's a passion, a piece of our sanity, our happiness happiness. Maybe Im nuts, but my fish, (and other animals) are like a therapy for me. They relax me, give me joy, raise my serotonin and I can spend hours just sitting in front of my tanks watching and finding new things to do, add, change, adjust etc etc. It's much more than a hobby for me.

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by chevyvega927 View Post
    I happen to agree with you Vin. I think the whole water change thing can sometimes get out of hand. Condition the water with Prime right from the tap and make sure it is the same temp the fish are accustomed to. That's it. Whatever you start with for PH just don't mess with it. Fish will adapt and once they adapt you do not have to mess with a ten step process. What they don't like are huge changes to their parameters... so if you start off with all the mumbo jumbo then it is harder to simplify. I do not understand why people on this forum get so worked up about dissenting opinions. I equate fish keepers who over complicate things to the beer hipsters who make drinking a simple beer annoying... "this IPA was a 90 minute vs the 120 brah.. you can really taste difference in the hoppiness of the hops." No you can't and your fish wont spontaneously combust if you don't use RO water that has been aged to perfection in an oak barrel.

And before everyone jumps down my throat... I am partially kidding. I use humorous metaphors to illustrate points but I do believe in keeping things simple to maximize enjoyment of the hobby.
    This cracked me up, because I know EXACTLY those kind of guys, especially the IPA types��

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusP View Post
    I was freaking out once I decided to start keeping discus. I was very concerned about the PH here in Colorado. After reading on the forums I decided to leave my water the way it is. I'm very glad I did that because it removed all the stress and worry I had before I started. I do have a RO/DI system setup if I need it to breed. Seems to me these fish are more resilient than they were years ago. I appreciate that this forum exist, I have found answers to the questions I had about keeping discus. Lots of knowledge here and I would also like to thank many of the members. It has helped with my overall experience with these beautiful fish.

The pump mentioned for the water changes has been a game changer for sure. I use to use 5 gallon deep rock containers to change my water with a syphon and that was a pain. I would have used a Python but I didn't like the idea of wasting water. Anyway get that pump Megan you will be so pleased.
    I already am, just having been given the idea here! As always, grateful to SD!��

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I totally agree with what Vinni said. Years ago I bought a safety siphon from Jehmco, removed the plastic tube, and just use the hose and connector from the python. Start the siphon and place the end part into the toilet or outside to water the grass. To refill connect to the water faucet, adjust the water temp, refill the tank, add the safe, done. Been doing this for years and never an issue.

Registered Member

Have to agree with many here. If you want to take the extra effort to age water, that's totally fine. But I have never had an issue with water from the tap, in cold climates or not. Adjust temp and add prime. No issues, even with raising small discus to adults. That's in Ohio and California, I know quality and the chemistry of water can vary. So I'm not knocking the desire to go a different route; it is a hobby after all and that's probably interesting and fun for many. Also think if I got into breeding (which I never will), I'd probably look into it. But in general, I just don't find it necessary.

Real Name
    Willie

Important to qualify all statements to specific and individual experiences. I didn't age water for years - until I started losing fish. I probably wouldn't have to condition water at all if I were making small water changes.

But after my 100% water change this morning, I refilled my conditioning reservoir. That water looked milky with so much dissolved gases coming out. (It cleared up after an hour or so.) So if you're making large water changes, I definitely recommend conditioning your water. Same recommendation if you live in Minnesota and the outside temperature is 19F.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Important to qualify all statements to specific and individual experiences. I didn't age water for years - until I started losing fish. I probably wouldn't have to condition water at all if I were making small water changes.

But after my 100% water change this morning, I refilled my conditioning reservoir. That water looked milky with so much dissolved gases coming out. (It cleared up after an hour or so.) So if you're making large water changes, I definitely recommend conditioning your water. Same recommendation if you live in Minnesota and the outside temperature is 19F.
    Such a simple but exceedingly important point. What worksbfor one isn't going to work for all, especially with something like water that can vary vastly even from county to county, let alone state and or country.
    For me, personally, I cannot use tap water alone, though I do mix it with the RO. I have about dozen 5 gal buckets and a few 3gal that I use for mixing, dosing, and aging water. Not difficult to lift or anything, but it does become laborious and time consuming. The entire idea of my OP was interest in a possible easier way that didn't entail using water directly from the tap.
    I have been given that solution and am very happy about it, but would have been fine if I had to continue doing as I had been.
    I think we all have something like that, keeping large tanks, expensive, delicate fish can be hard work sometimes.
    Totally worth it.
    Oh! I did find this siphon that can add clean water from a prepared bucket WHILE siphoning at the same time. Take dirty water/detritus from the bottom, add your clean prepped water to the top.
    Seems genius, if it works.
    Unfortunately the motor itself has to remain submerged so you couldn't completely empty your prepped bucket. I like the concept of the idea but I'd like to see a more reliable company make something similar.
    Anyone have thoughts on this, or heard of it? It has multiple uses, as well.
    It's cheap so I'm seriously considering trying it out, if I do, I'll report on it. I think it was called the McGrady siphon set. I'm now searching for similar styles from various brands.
    And don't get me wrong, I pass zero judgment on those that use tap water even with high pH, etc etc because it works for them, so that's great.
    For me personally, I keep my water parameters of soft, low pH water. The RO mixture greatly reduces the amount of additives I need.
    Any and every way people choose to care for their Discus, that works, is great.
    I love this site because of all the experience, ideas, and help. Because we all get it, the work and sacrifice, regardless of various methods used.

Real Name
    Francis

My Ehiem and Mag Drive pumps operate as in-line or submerged.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast