ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fritz complete water conditioner

Registered Member

Default Fritz complete water conditioner

I have for years dechlorinated with either api tap water conditioner or seachem prime and recently ordered a bottle of fritz complete because the pump on the bottle seemed like an easy way to measure dechlorinator... fast forward to today and my 75g discus tank after changing water with the new dechlorinator now has had an ammonia spike and I luckily caught it before losing a fish. Have a cycled HOB from another tank re establishing my biological filter and would like to know if anyone has used fritz complete successfully or had similar problems with it.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Fritz complete water conditioner

How do you perform your water changes? Is it straight from the tap or aged? Do you have city water or are you on a well? Have you tested the water coming out of the tap for ammonia?

My gut instinct tells me that an ammonia spike immediately after a water change means you have ammonia in your water supply. This isn't a huge deal because we have products like Seachem Prime that will neutralize that ammonia and make it harmless to the fish until the BB can take care of it. I haven't used Fritz Complete personally, but from looking at the datasheets and such for it online, it looks like it has a similar or near identical chemistry as Seachem Prime (it looks like they use some form of hydrosulfite).

Registered Member

I water change straight from the tap with conditioner mixed in a 5 gallon bucket. The ammonia spike was 24 hours out from my water change. I have city water not well.

Real Name
    Jake

Have you validated that you don't have spikes with another product such as Seachem Prime? That would be the first thing I look at. If it also occurs with other treatments, then I would suspect that something has killed off your BB (recent medication perhaps?) and try to remedy that. If it doesn't occur with some other product like Seachem Prime, I would reach out to Fritz's customer support and see if they can help.

Real Name
    Willie

My gut instinct tells me that an ammonia spike immediately after a water change means you have ammonia in your water supply....Seachem Prime (it looks like they use some form of hydrosulfite).
    Hydrosulfite products break the chloramine bond to form chlorine and ammonia. It also detoxifies the chlorine, but the ammonia stays in the water. Measuring an ammonia spike after adding hydrosulfite would not be unreasonable.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Turns out that some politician ordered extra chlorine/ chloramines into our drinking water until February due to covid, so new water conditioner not the likely cause and yes my discus show tank now only has a 20 gal HOB for cycled filtration until my BB builds back up... oh man do I feel an onslaught of water changes coming my way
    Last edited by Rubix; 11-18-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Real Name
    Jake

That would be it then!

I'm not sure about Fritz Complete, but I know in emergencies you can dose Seachem Prime at 5x strength to neutralize ammonia (neutralize as in it isn't harmful to fish, but will still show up on test kits). You might be able to do something similar with Fritz Complete.

Registered Member

I had read about seachem purigen before went out and bought some and after installing it in my canister I'm now getting 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate lol go figure 12 bucks and no more stress