AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid Scare

Registered Member

Default Covid Scare

I have been experiencing depression lately because of covid scare. And it developed elation of my blood pressure, what do you think is the extend of mortality if you get covid? Any advise would help how can I alleviate my anxiety?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Covid Scare

Moreeta I am sorry you're struggling with anxiety over the current pandemic situation. I work in an ICU in Cincinnati, OH, as an RN. Mortality risk for individuals really depends on their current health status and comorbidities. The overall statistics for mortality are actually very low, but for the elderly, people with preexisting conditions etc, the mortality risk rises significantly.
    My advice is to maintain social distancing recommendations, to wear a mask when in contact with other people, avoid large gatherings, use hand sanitizer regularly, and avoid shaking hands, high fives, and the like.
    Isolation can also play into feelings of depression and anxiety so make regular phone contact with people you know and trust, and share how you are feeling.
    I hope all this passes in the not too distant future, but at the moment we all have to dig in, be wise, and work together (separately, lol) to see the curve collapse!
    Blessings sir!
    Danny

Registered Member

Anxiety and depression has run rampant with the pandemic so join the club. You will reduce your risk if you pay attention to Fauci and the other scientists. Hopefully the vaccine will eventually put a halt to this insane reality.

Most importantly, your feelings are not just "normal" but spot on

Real Name
    Shan

If it means anything, I've had it. It sucked but only gave me a sore throat and some flu symptoms. I stayed in my room and healed slowly. My wife who lives with me didn't even catch it and tested negative three times because we social distanced.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

You and your wife were lucky. I'm glad that you didn't end up dead. This weird virus affects different people in different ways. My friend Twee who owns the LPS with her husband had it. She tested negative twice but still had to go to the hospital and was put on O2 but didn't need to be intubated, thank God. It set her back for a long while but she seems fine now. Her kids got it. The one with asthma had a hared time. Her husband never had a symptom. I think that he was the asymptomatic carrier. Later, after Twee was better she took the antibody test and she had antibodies to it, so there was no doubt that it was Covid.

I'm lucky. I'm a loner by nature. I don't have the same emotional problems as the extraverts. Sometimes I still get kind of antsy. I go for a nice long drive in the country and look at the sights like an old time Sunday driver. It helps alot.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dan

I am also a nurse and I work on a covid unit. I have cared for patients that have tested positive since it all started every time I work. I agree 100% with danotaylor.
    I would add that getting 30-60minutes of exercise daily will really help your immune system, general health and your anxiety. You dont need to do crossfit or try to run a 5K, a brisk walk, especially outdoors, is a fantastic option.

Dan, you are one of the superhero's. I'm pretty tough. I understand that there is a time to live and a time to die. Everything living must die. It's a natural cycle. I don't think I could handle your job. If I were to have to care for people who could talk to me one day, then take a sudden nose dive and die the next I would have to harden my heart. I don't know how you manage. Thank you.
    Mama Bear

is it a good idea to exercise once you tested positive? my relative told me not to exercise as the virus could affect the lungs and started to become lethal

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

If you are having any symptoms, avoid strenuous exercise, but if completely asymptomatic with a positive test then exercise is very very low risk. If you notice during exercise that your endurance is lowered or you are more short of breath or you feel your heart racing, those are symptoms and you should terminate strenuous activities for a couple of weeks. This virus like several others including even the common cold can on occasion cause an inflammation of the heart (myocarditis) that can do permanent damage but only very very rarely is lethal. Unfortunately this condition does frequently cause permanent harm with weakening of the heart muscle. That is why you may have heard that exercise should be avoided even with a cold or the flu whenever you have a fever or if you notice much lower endurance. The virus can similarly do damage to the lungs so again, less endurance as in shortness of breath, stop exercising till your breathing is normal. My understanding is that the pulmonary damage is reversible.

Without knowing your specific circumstances hard to say what your risk is but it is worth noting that for many age groups this infection is no more risky than the flu. As an aside, have you gotten your flu shot? This article may help https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/89750

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Dan, you are one of the superhero's. I'm pretty tough. I understand that there is a time to live and a time to die. Everything living must die. It's a natural cycle. I don't think I could handle your job. If I were to have to care for people who could talk to me one day, then take a sudden nose dive and die the next I would have to harden my heart. I don't know how you manage. Thank you.
    We do it because imagine what it would be like if we didn't. And it is an honor

That's exactly you are a superhero. I bow to all of you who take on this terribly hard job.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That's exactly you are a superhero. I bow to all of you who take on this terribly hard job.
    Seconded
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Agree 100% .. Front line workers and especially medical workers are the light in a dark world right now. They have my gratitude and respect 100%.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I volunteer in Noston twice a week. I’m no superhero by any stretch of the Imagination. I know I’m helping people but I do it for very selfish reasons. Cause it makes me feel good about myself.
    It’s interesting that our world has come to the point where you can be a superhero for just doing the right thing.
    A simple thanks used to be enough compensation

thanks for taking the time explaining to me when I can start to exercise again. Its more than a month since I tested positive. However, I didn't show any symptoms in particular. Already self isolate for more than a month now. I did the second test two weeks ago and my cut-off points is 38/42 (42 being fully recovered from the virus). I should be able to exercise soon enough so that I can get back in shape. Not exercising for a long time has make me to look more like my discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast