AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Dark Alenquer

Registered Member

Default Dark Alenquer

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I have few German fish which are leaving 8th week in post Asian tank. All the possible cross contamination issue has been described in the thread:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...rman-and-Asian

All fish are doing great and growing fine. I'm worry about one Alenquer which use to darker from time to time. Some time is light brown, other time it's dark brown. He changes colour few times per day from light to dark, to light and so on.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Apart of turning dark (maybe 50% of time) I see a some nicks marks on fish.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    No medication so far.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    BB - 40 gallons. Originally 11 small 2.5", they are already grown from mid September to around 4" and I'm going to move them shortly to final destination - 190g tank

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    90% daily + cleaning after feeding

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Garmans are living in that tank for 2months. Tank was setup more than 6 months ago and used for different discus pair.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No aging, no Ph swings.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    3 stage filter from tap

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 89F

- ph 7.2

- ammonia reading 0.0

- nitrite reading 0.0

- nitrate reading 0.0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100%

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    nope

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Beef Heart Mix - 5 times per day

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    You can see 2 Alenquer, one on the left is one of the biggest from my youth batch. On the right on the one changing dark.

IMG_3277.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Dark Alenquer

Literally half an hour later, just after feeding time he's light as his brother
    IMG_3278.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I noticed it has some torn fins...perhaps it's being bullied?? Stress from being bossed around can cause discus to darken at times as well...

Registered Member

sometimes there are fights between fish. it could be bitten from time to time, but not very heavilly. It's definitely not a fish, which got spanked from all other one, it's neither the alpha ...

Registered Member

My Alenquers turn dark from time to time. I have one who every evening turns dark and floats sideways at the surface for 30 minutes or so. The rest of the day he swims around normally. Others turn dark on occasion as well.Because I have only wild discus that have spawned I have noticed them turn dark after the spawn. I believe they do this so the the fry can find them better but I do not know why they randomly turn dark on occasion. I do have a the Albino Millennium Gold, Blue Scorpion, Red White in the past that did not turn dark Only the Wild Alenquer and Red Heckel.