ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Acriflavine and methylene blue concentration vs nitrifying bacteria

Registered Member

Default Acriflavine and methylene blue concentration vs nitrifying bacteria

Hey!

I've been trying to figure out if there is a critical concentration of acriflavine and MB under which I can use the medicament without causing a significant damage to filter bacteria.

The link below states that both can be used prophylactically. I take this as the concentration should be ok for a few weeks. Concentrations are 0,1-0,35 ppm where as full treatment conc. is often between 1 and 5 ppm.

https://www.fishwise.co.nz/view-arti...ow-much-part-2

Jack Wattley Discus claims over telephone that 1 gram per 40 gallon = 6,6 ppm and that that treatment won't harm your filter.

Scheeles lösning (eng. Scheeles solution, Carl Wilhelm Scheele 1742 - 1786, chemist and apothecary, did research on air and chlorine...) consists of 2,5 g acriflavine and 2 g of methylene blue in 1000 mL of water. Used at 1 mL/L for eggs, some diseases and at 1mL/10L prophylactically. I love this! It's cheap, I know what I'm using and it's effective. Gives 2,5 ppm/2 ppm (0,25 ppm/2 ppm proph.).

QUESTION: What are your experiences and thoughts on dosage/effect and acriflavine/MB?

Erik

Registered Member

Default Re: Acriflavine and methylene blue concentration vs nitrifying bacteria

EDIT regarding JWD: 1 gram/40 gallon: of acriflavine

Real Name
    Mervin

You might like to watch this video..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0k...kWattleyDiscus

Registered Member

I use acriflavine made by kordon at 1 drop per gallon, and add salt lower ph. Do an large water change and wipe the slime off the sides and bottom.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    You might like to watch this video..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0k...kWattleyDiscus
    I did, several times. It tells me nothing about the effect of acriflavine on nitrifying bacteria. JWD claims it's like an antiseptic, so it won't kill your filter. This is true, but it's a matter of dosage both with MB and acriflavine. Experiences are needed for data. I might do a poll and analyze in Excel.

Real Name
    Willie

I treat discus in a quarantine tank and pull the sponge during medication, so the impact on bacterial population is insignificant. In addition to using minimal amounts of the medication, it has the benefit that my show tank doesn't get discolored by the dye.

There's no effective way to treat a planted tank because the bacterial population varies with amount of crud in the substrate. A low concentration can clean a bare bottom tank, while a high concentration may not work on a planted tank. The numbers Gabe cited refer only to his bare bottom recirculating system.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.