ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ideal Tank Height?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Ideal Tank Height?

I am planning on adding one more planted display tank, two of my smaller existing tanks will be combined into this tank and then moved into the basement as fry or quarantine tanks. The two tanks that I am considering are the UNS 120u 114 gallon, 47.24" x 23.62" x 23.62" or 120p 78 gallon, 47.24" x 19.69" x 19.69". I have the 90u which is 23.62" tall and my arms are a little short for maintenance? My 55 and 75 gallon tanks are 21" tall, splitting the two heights. I know that 23.62" would work well for discus but I worry that 19.69" is on the short side.

I acknowledge that there is a good chance that I am overthinking this.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 11-25-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Ideal Tank Height?

I don't think the 3 inches are as big a factor without a deep substrate ?
    For me if I can't reach the back bottom without 'climbing in' it is too deep .24 inch deep tanks are my uncomfortable limit .Especially on 24 in wide tanks .
    I have to 'climb in' my 180 to move a large rock or such it seems sometimes ..
    For me climb in means have my waist close to even with top of tank to reach in ..Hoods and such add to the difficulty IMO ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

It will be a planted tank, so with a substrate, hence the need to reach the bottom.

Real Name
    Willie

In terms of appearance, the position of the tank will differ between different individuals. I built a 36" tall stand that sets this 110 gal tank close to eye level for me, but I'm not a tall person. Also, a 110 gal tank is 30" deep, so too deep for use as a planted tank.

IMG_1980(mNswzdu37tJ).jpg

If you're going with a 24" deep tank, you might want the stand much taller to get something closer to eye level. It's good that you're thinking about all this before setting up the tank. Most show tanks end up below eye level so you end up looking down on them.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

May be something to try in the future. A 36” stand. But you would still need a step stool to service it. I did like the 30” deep tanks but when cleaning I was in a tank top with the water up to my underarm (no deodorant before cleaning ). Now I’m at 24” on a 30” stands and got to say never though about eye level. I’m usually sitting. I did grow plants in the 30s. Good lighting! Even the 24s need good lighting.052191C1-0B38-4CCC-8F36-839FA3C6856D.jpg60E420E0-39B6-49C7-AC7A-7DC2DBBE745D.jpg73A50E55-8DE4-4203-A4D6-C93E0E9E98B8.jpgand my new tank .5F6132C3-FC5F-41EF-8E64-6917730E8D3F.jpg still needs lighting.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Again, beautiful tanks Iminit.

I intended to have my acrylic tank 30" tall.
    The thought of it being eye level was very appealing to me.
    However, I was cleaning my 24" tank and Nancy said, "Now wipe off the bottom".
    I could not nearly reach it at all.
    She was right. It would have been a real pain in the wazzoo to maintain a 30" tall tank.
    I am SO glad she spoke up.
    Both of my acrylic tanks are 24" tall.
    Honestly, any taller and I would probably have to have a aquarium service take care of them.
    Just my two cents.
    Vinni

Hey! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all !!!

Real Name
    Tom

Right back at ya Vinnie!! HAPPY THANSGIVING EVERYONE!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

My 90u is 23.62" high and deep and I am in the water to my armpits which is a problem as I wear dress shirts to the office. It is on a 30" stand. I do have a stepstool.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I have a 31" tall cube (24"Wx24"Lx31"H) on a 24" tall stand I built, and I have to use a small step ladder and 30" python vacuum to get to the bottom. I have t-rex arms, so reaching the bottom without a tool is impossible.

I just bought a 36" tall 265 gallon tank that I plan to make my main planted show piece in my front foyer. I plan to make the stand for it between 12-18" tall for it. I have to figure out how I am going to service it.

Real Name
    Willie

You could just buy some pruning shears and other aquascaping paraphernalia. I made a bottom cleaner for my 110 gallon tank by tying a Hydro V sponge onto an old toilet bowl cleaner. Not pretty, but works perfectly.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    I am planning on adding one more planted display tank, two of my smaller existing tanks will be combined into this tank and then moved into the basement as fry or quarantine tanks. The two tanks that I am considering are the UNS 120u 114 gallon, 47.24" x 23.62" x 23.62" or 120p 78 gallon, 47.24" x 19.69" x 19.69". I have the 90u which is 23.62" tall and my arms are a little short for maintenance? My 55 and 75 gallon tanks are 21" tall, splitting the two heights. I know that 23.62" would work well for discus but I worry that 19.69" is on the short side.

I acknowledge that there is a good chance that I am overthinking this.
    You certainly are not overthinking this. Its good to have all the information before you proceed.
    My tank is 30 inch high, and there is no way that i can touch the bottom without standing on a stool. I don't have to do that often, as i use tools that i have made to do all my maintenance.
    I was limited with space, and the extra height gave me the volume i needed. I think that discus are well suited for high tanks as they drift all the way around it.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time