ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration

Registered Member

Default Filtration

I’m starting a new 150 discus community and plant tank. I’m not sure of the filtration necessary to run the tank. My options
    2 fx4
    2 fx6
    1 fx4 and 1 fx6
    1 fx6
    Look forward to comments.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default Re: Filteration

I like having dual filters on my tanks 55 gallons and above with each filter having the capacity to handle the tank. The reason is not water flow but increased cleansing capacity. You can reduce the water flow rates so that the fish are comfortable. Another positive of having dual filters is that if you have a filter failure your tank is still functioning. I like having the same filters to keep the supplies, etc., the same. If this was my tank I would go with 2 FX6's.

Real Name
    Mervin

I have a 6 foot 125 gal. with one FX6. Works like a charm.

Registered Member

Thanks. I was leaning towards two fx6 but was concerned about the flow being uncomfortable for the discus. You mentioned they can be turned down. How is that done? Thanks

Real Name
    Tom

I also have 1 on a 125 discus tank with 13 discus. Also have a powerhead with 2 sponges. I clean the sponges at every water change and the fx6 every 2 months. But it could probably go 3. For flow the outlet hose has a valve on it. Just close the valve and the flow slows up. Very easy. I’ve had it for a year now and I’m happy with it. It’s easy to clean and has a huge media area. I think 1 should be enough for your tank. With another type of filtration. I use the powerhead. May want to check petsmart tomorrow. I bought this time last year for a good price.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

A massive poret/k1 sump could be cheaper and easier to maintain than canister filters on a tank that large.

Of your options I'd chose 2 x fx6

Real Name
    Tom

You do know the fx6 is for a 400g tank? It moves 925gph. To me it’s overkill on my tank. The reason for the sponges is a backup just in case the fx6 breaks down. That moves 350gph through 2 sponges. James a question. I used to have a wet/dry yrs ago. I just bought another for another 125. I thought of going with a sump but I don’t understand it. What does it do and how? Thanks

Real Name
    Tom

Ok just heard petsmart is selling the fx6 for 175. I looked yesterday and they were $339. That’s almost 50% off .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Vvboes View Post
    Thanks. I was leaning towards two fx6 but was concerned about the flow being uncomfortable for the discus. You mentioned they can be turned down. How is that done? Thanks
    There are valves on both the intake and outtakes which can be turned up or down. On the tanks where I have two filters I normally keep the flow low, the biggest advantages are: a more even flow in the tank, twice the filtering real estate, and redundancy.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 11-27-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    You do know the fx6 is for a 400g tank? It moves 925gph. To me it’s overkill on my tank. The reason for the sponges is a backup just in case the fx6 breaks down. That moves 350gph through 2 sponges. James a question. I used to have a wet/dry yrs ago. I just bought another for another 125. I thought of going with a sump but I don’t understand it. What does it do and how? Thanks
    I'm updating my sump to look similar to this. I am subbing the poret aqua for k1 and removing the poret at the front and using the turbulence of the sump intake to mobilize the k1. I use the return pump to do water changes and I just agitate the mulm that is shed by the poret foam every water change. The foam shows no accumulation of mulm and no reduction in flow. It cleans itself.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/v3jWLbB8xjS1vSR19

In a sump you can hide your aeration and heaters and cleaning the media if you go with poret is extremely low maintenance.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Vvboes View Post
    I run a single canister filter in my tank with no issues at all. I have re directed the inflow bar upwards to agitate the surface of the water, and reduce the amount of turbulence in the tank.
    If you are running 2 filters you could probably keep the inflow bars close together and pointing at each other to obtain a similar effect.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time