AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brad

Default Discus Questions

Hey everyone,

I just have a few questions about my new discus.

My 6 4-6” discus arrived Tuesday morning from Kenny! They are all healthy and out and about during the day and eating.

I was just wondering when am I supposed to resume maintenance. They are very skittish still and kinda freak out still if I approach to quickly etc.

My water parameters are still looking good and I’ve only fed a tiny amount so far.

I’d like to get in and do water test/water change and make sure everything’s ok. But I also don’t want to spook/stress them. They are large and it’s easy for them to jump/injury themselves when they dart around.

Any advice here?

Also on an unrelated note they have definitely started establishing pecking order. The two largest have been pecking each other a lot. No injuries though. The larger one likes to intervene and get between them when they start going it. It’s pretty interesting. Lol.

Tank info:
    -72 gallons (36”Lx21”Wx24”H)
    -30 gallon sump
    -Lightly planted with low light plants with thin layer of inert sand.
    -manzanita driftwood
    -Purigen reactor
    - In-line UV sterilizer
    -Temp 85F
    -pH 7.5
    -kH 2-3
    -gH 5
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 1 (this was when I put them in, I haven’t checked yet. I’m sure it’s gone up a little).

Thanks guys.

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Discus Questions

Hey there Brad!

I found that with almost all discus that I've received (from Kenny or otherwise) are always skittish for the first few weeks of arriving. Whether it is due to stress from shipment or just getting used to their new surroundings, they have always somewhat "spooked" when approaching the tank. I found the best way to acclimate them to movement outside the tank is to approach slowly for the first few weeks and they'll eventually get used to it.

I say resume maintenance immediately. When I first got mine original group from Kenny, I was doing daily WCs for the first week and, while they did get spooked a little, the maintenance was important to their health. They do eventually get used to it.

Real Name
    Tom

I think Kenny recommended 3 days before doing anything. Lights out 3 days don’t feed till 24 hrs. That’s what I did. Yes mine were very skittish when I got them. I started a thread here. Must say much more skittish than any other discus I’ve bought. They’ve calmed down mostly but still jump like missiles every so often. Got mine in sept. Will be moving into a 125 soon and I hope this helps.
    Looks like you’ve got everything right. Kenny’s fish are great looking and strong so just give them time. They’ve been through a lot in the last few weeks . Waiting for pics .

Registered Member

I moved a 2 year old discus from a breeder thank to a larger tank, one which that fish had been in 2 or three times over the past two years, including fish that it had been with from time to time. It still hid for 4 days and did not eat. Today its out scrapping and fighting and eating same as always.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brad

Apparently, they are not that stressed. I now have a confirmed mated pair and hundreds of eggs...

Real Name
    Tom

Congrats!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brad

I was worried that the first water change was gonna be a big deal with new skittish fish, but they did great. No darting at all. A little hiding at first but after 5 minutes they were fine and doing normal fish things. Even the spawning pair didn't seem to care and didn't try to attack me when I was cleaning the plants around and behind them.

I was very surprised.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Bradb90 View Post
    I was worried that the first water change was gonna be a big deal with new skittish fish, but they did great. No darting at all. A little hiding at first but after 5 minutes they were fine and doing normal fish things. Even the spawning pair didn't seem to care and didn't try to attack me when I was cleaning the plants around and behind them.

I was very surprised.
    can you upload some pics?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brad

Sure I’ll do it later tonight.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brad