ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jenene’s new group- single strain and shadow box background.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Jenene’s new group- single strain and shadow box background.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks so much Pat, I’m enjoying both. The shadow box has grown on me after my initial disappointment of having a completely different result from what I was expecting. I’ll explain that process soon. People here could get very creative with it. I was going for a more simple look- which I think I did achieve that much anyway.
    Ha ha you are very polite I’m surprised you even recognized what variety I was trying to say! Thank you!
    Hi Jenene, Cuipeua is a location name for a very nice wild red discus
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Jenene yes I’ve mixed German with Asian. There is a thread running about mixing. I added my mixing .BD9F1BBE-284E-4B7F-B547-6564283EAC25.jpg left is a Kenny’s red tiger and right s a Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Jenene, Cuipeua is a location name for a very nice wild red discus
    Pat
    That’s interesting! I think it would be a fun project to learn more background on these guys. I usually do research like that first before jumping in but there was too much to learn maintenance wise. I have watched videos of wild discus collecting though. That’s a start!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Hey Jenene yes I’ve mixed German with Asian. There is a thread running about mixing. I added my mixing .BD9F1BBE-284E-4B7F-B547-6564283EAC25.jpg left is a Kenny’s red tiger and right s a Hans.
    Thanks Tom, I’ll go and look. I’m not planning on trying it but I’m sure it raises some interesting conversations. Thank you!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

They're coming along nicely in your care Jenene, and with the amount of feeds and water changes you're doing i'm sure they are going to end up big and beefy.
    I've always liked watching young discus grow and develop especially when i've been able to grow them out myself. I'm sure you've been able to identify individuals from their unique markings. It would be very interesting to find out their origins too. Ive been running a canister filter in my main tank from day dot, and haven't had a problem with it. Sounds like you got a real bargain....good for you.
    You've mentioned your reef tank a few times on here, and i know you were going through a huge learning curve. Maybe if you have time you can share some pictures and an update on the thread you started for it?

Good luck with the group and the grow out....so far...so good
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Thanks Joe,
    Yes, as you know from experience lots of feedings mean lots of big water changes but you only get one shot at it. I’ve had a couple from my last group that never reached their full potential. One was most likely my fault- she must have gotten stressed at some point and became ill. She recovered but never caught up to the others regarding her size. The other was a an albino. I found out once I had him that they tend to have poor eye sight and it made feeding difficult. I spot fed when I could but it was never enough for good health. I’m trying to avoid past mistakes and do the best I can to keep them clean, well fed and stress free.
    The reef has definitely been a project- more like a roller coaster. So much has happened I wouldn’t know where to begin. I’ll go back and see where I left off but I may have to fast forward a bit.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have no idea where the time has gone. I’ve been meaning to update the progress on my new group for months. I have some spare time lately and took some new pics and video.
    They’ve really grown in the last 7 months since they arrived. Kenny would have been so happy with these. I really miss sending him pictures, updates and well wishes. He always seemed to appreciate my notes even though he was always so busy.

The one problem I’ve had is I switched over to a canister filter awhile ago and I had no idea how fast it would a accumulate nastiness. I had cleaned it out rinsing the media in a bucket of tank water about every two and a half weeks and noticed one of them had developed pop eye. Darn! You know your water is terrible shape when that happens. I was doing about 65-70% every other day and I had no idea it had gotten this bad. I did huge water changes daily and now I know better and check the filter about one every 7-10 days. I give the media a light rinse and replace the floss- they seem much happier. I’d sworn I’d never go back to canisters since they can become nitrate factories but I really thought I was on top of it. The beef heart set me back I’m sure.

That issue has cleared itself up and they are still growing and eating like beasts. I was lucky enough to stop in at Chicago Discus when I was in town a few days ago and Miranda generously shared her beef heart recipe with me. Walked me through step by step and showed me how to find it on her website. This is my favorite part of the hobby- meeting all the people who love these fish as much as I do. Kindred souls.
    Happy Fourth of July ����
    https://youtu.be/w3xTgUWOctk
    AFE3D7C9-22AD-4453-8862-9AF586883CD5.jpg
    D7F4D1C2-FAAA-4772-AFD4-9B847EFCEC95.jpg
    CD3AF4FF-9401-4B9A-99F2-994A129440DE.jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 07-02-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Nice looking discus with great shape too.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jenene, these guys look wonderful. Kenny would be proud Nice job!
    Pay
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thank you so much Pat, that means a lot.
    I think about him every time I look at them.

I took a few more from the short side of the tank after I posted these. They came out pretty well, although I am certainly not a photographer. I’ll put them up now.

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Nice looking discus with great shape too.
    Thank you so much. Forrest sent Kenny some really beautiful fish.

Here’s a few more I took after I posted my last ones. I never thought of taking some through the end of the tank. 84524114-EDDD-44F2-A9A0-57082505B944.jpg
    90D71ADD-B834-47DB-9A51-9C87A33C584D.jpg
    61B17812-75D9-42FE-819B-A508375F3AFF.jpg
    0F67CA36-91A7-4C5C-8B6B-741F25C5D363.jpg

Uh oh… Pat can you flip those? Sorry! No idea why that happens. Any advice to avoid it next time?

Real Name
    Francis
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

Why are my pictures posting upside down or sideways on the forum?

If you're posting pictures that look normal on your computer, phone or tablet, but when you upload them to Koiphen they seem to randomly post upside down or sideways, here are some tips.

When taking pictures with your mobile device, which many of us do, most software programs can tell which way you had it positioned when you took the picture so it knows which way is "up". Koiphen can't do that. It is assuming you have the device position in "landscape" mode, meaning you have it positioned horizontally and the "top" of the device is on the side.

This is Portrait:

3BFA718F-BB3D-4511-98FC-D15E989D6D96.jpg

This is Landscape:

BA9651BD-9FF6-4056-BC2D-126AE5352CF3.jpg

Name: Landscape.jpg
    Views: 1208
    Size: 70.9 KB

Even if positioned in landscape it's also important that it is positioned so the top part of the device is on the left side.
    Many phones have their brand logo at the top; if so you need to have that brand logo on the left in landscape mode. If there's no logo, "up" is
    how you would hold the device if you were using it as a phone.
    To illustrate how the forum handles the pictures I took some with the Samsung logo or "up" side pointed in different directions. Now these all
    looked "right" on the device and in my software program... but here's how it looks when taken in portrait mode with the brand logo of the
    device is at the top:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showt...-on-the-forum&

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Uh oh… Pat can you flip those? Sorry! No idea why that happens. Any advice to avoid it next time?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast