ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Juvies (need advice)

Real Name
    Greg

Default Growing Juvies (need advice)

Hey guys, I have kept discus for a few years now but I only ever bought 6+ inch adults, I'm trying my hand at growing these 7 Juvies. These are all Uncle Sams Discus and the following is my feed/water change routine along with some pics.
    Ok so I feed 4 to 5 times a day, pellets, flake food for the first 3 or 4 feedings and beef heart at night, frozen blood worms occasionally. I change 50 to 70 percent of the water every other day. I have heard and read that growing discus is very difficult. Do you guys have any advice on my routine. The guy at Uncle sams said 25% once or twice a week. has anyone had success growing Juvies? will once a week water changes grow them out or am I on the right track with my routine. Thanks in Advance!

IMG_6837.jpgIMG_6853.jpgIMG_6843.jpgIMG_6852.jpgIMG_6849.jpg

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Growing Juvies (need advice)

Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

You need frequent water change for juvies because depleted nutrients needs to replenish that's require for development. That's why juvies grow faster if do large and frequent water changes.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Greg, I would personally do daily large water changes. Especially after feeding BH. I think you receive poor advice from Uncle Sams regarding water changes. Your juvies look pretty good. You got lucky there. Some of the fish I have seen from Uncle Sams have not been so hot.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Yes great looking discus! Yes keep up the water changes and feedings. Good luck and keep us updated . How big were they when you bought them? They look to be 4 to 5” now. So they should grow to 6” maybe more. I bought 2 a year ago and they grew to 6” at least. Good luck.

Real Name
    Willie

The only thing you must do with juvies is to make frequent, large water changes. Nothing else will compensate for that.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Greg

Ok Sounds good I will keep up a 50% every other day for the next 5 or 6 months. Thanks for the compliment on the Discus. I Live in LA so I was able to schedule a visit and hand pick the fish.

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks for the kind words, they were 3.4 to 4 inches when I got them. putting on some size slowly.

Real Name
    Greg

copy that I will do 60% water changes every other day. Does that sound good enough or should I do every day?

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Gregkarr09 View Post
    copy that I will do 60% water changes every other day. Does that sound good enough or should I do every day?
    Your discus will certain grow with 60% W/C every other day. How much you do and how frequently is really a matter of how big you want them to be. Like nearly everyone else, Uncle Sam imports their fish from Asia. These fish were raised with 100% - 300% water changes daily, because that's what makes them grow the fastest. The faster they grow, the sooner the discus farms can get their money back.

From the perspective of the discus, the first time they haven't had clean water is when they went to Uncle Sam's, then into your tank. Not everyone is set up to make large water changes, but that's what makes them get big.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Greg

OK great that's what I figured as I have seen the farms in Asia and how they grow the discus.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Your discus will certain grow with 60% W/C every other day. How much you do and how frequently is really a matter of how big you want them to be. Like nearly everyone else, Uncle Sam imports their fish from Asia. These fish were raised with 100% - 300% water changes daily, because that's what makes them grow the fastest. The faster they grow, the sooner the discus farms can get their money back.

From the perspective of the discus, the first time they haven't had clean water is when they went to Uncle Sam's, then into your tank. Not everyone is set up to make large water changes, but that's what makes them get big.
    Just to re emphasize what Willie is saying, do 90-100% daily water changes if possible, not just for maximum growth, but also to minimize diseases like fin rot, gill flukes etc. Large water changes dilute DOC's as well as pathogens, thus keeping the discus happy and healthy. It's also a good idea to wipe down the slime on the glass once a week and rinse out your filter media regularly. It's a lot of work, but well worth it when you have healthy, 6 inch discus at just 10 months of age.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 11-30-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by smsimcik View Post
    Just to re emphasize what Willie is saying, do 90-100% daily water changes if possible, not just for maximum growth, but also to minimize diseases like fin rot, gill flukes etc. Large water changes dilute DOC's as well as pathogens, thus keeping the discus happy and healthy. It's also a good idea to wipe down the slime on the glass once a week and rinse out your filter media regularly. It's a lot of work, but well worth it when you have healthy, 6 inch discus at just 10 months of age.
    Sounds good I'll do as much as I can

Real Name
    Francis

I do 80% water changes daily with aged water matching the same temperature as the display tank.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    R V

Forgive me guys but it just seems like there are wayyyyy too many people on here giving out crazy unattainable advice...

It is obvious that many of these discus are coming from vendors that do 100-300% water changes to grow them as fast as they can, BUT to tell someone that they have to do 80-100% water change daily or even every other day is absurd. They do this because they are a business whose sole focus is breeding and selling. They don't have a 9-5 job and a family like a normal human being. Growing Discus ASAP and selling them is their livelihood.

I know everyone means well but you're making Discus keeping way too complicated, especially for new/prospective discus owners. It really is a disservice to the discus hobby. Newer discus keepers will burn themselves out at that insane rate of water changes and prospective keepers will opt for less awesome fish.

How fast do you really need to grow these fish out?! If you want them to be 5" in a couple months then it seems like purchasing them that size would be a better choice. The NORMAL growth rate is 5" by a year. Why would you kill yourself or advise someone to kill themselves doing so much unnecessary work to shave a couple months at most of the growth rate?

Guys if your like me with a fulltime job, wife and some kids, not to mention gym, church, kid's sports games, beers with the friends (you get the point)... then do yourself a favor and just be PATIENT. The fish will grow. They ARE NOT stunted if they aren't 5" asap.

I keep 7 3-3.5" Stendkers in a 65 gallon tank with a school of tetras, a pleco and 5 cory cats. Bought them at 2-2.5" and although they aren't breaking any records, they have grown very well. I feed them a mix of very small amounts of Good Heart, Hikari Discus Food, flakes and bloodworms 4-5x a day and do ONE (YES OMG JUST ONE) 40-50% water change every Sunday. By the way I use non-aged TAP (OH THE HUMANITY) water for my tank... 7.2 ph right out the faucet. Use a thermometer to make sure it is 85-87 degrees F. I treat it for chlorine and boom done. The key is to buy a good testing kit and keep an eye on your Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia levels. MAYBE add a second water change a week as needed if the levels get a little higher than normal.

Be PATIENT and REASONABLE and you can enjoy your discus without turning it into a full time job.
    Last edited by chevyvega927; 12-01-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast