AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Probably a dumb question.... so I put in this section

Registered Member

Default Probably a dumb question.... so I put in this section

I am in the process of converting from salt to fresh. I decided to go with a Discus at tank... thus looking to soak up as much info as possible, which of course led me to this site (love it). I keep reading and listening to videos regarding discus shape which is supposed to be round.. I think I get it. I have looked at several online stores as well as local shops and keep seeing the term "long body".. thus leads me to what I am sure is a really dumb question: Are "long bodied" Discus considered round? and they viewed and differently?

Thank you in advance for your responses

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Probably a dumb question.... so I put in this section

Good question. Long body is not the look you want. "Football" is another term used to describe lower quality fish.

Discus, as the name implies, should be round. So the outer edge of the fish, including the dorsal and ventral finnage, should be circular. In some newer strains, just the body alone is round. With the finnage, these fish are actually taller than longer. I happen to like these more, but it's obviously a personal preference. Ironically, not all wild caught discus are round.

Discus shape is controlled by both genetics and environment. In my experience, discus fry will get rounder taller with lots of water changes and heavy protein diets. You can see this effect in some of the postings on this site.

Hope that helps.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Default Re: Probably a dumb question.... so I put in this section

Also, look at the vendor section of this forum. All only deal with top quality fish.