AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fish don't drink!

Registered Member

Default Fish don't drink!

We all are used to putting the medication such as Metro, etc. in water column. According to this article apparently it is a waste of time and money and these medications only work if given via food and ingested. It is an interesting read. Have we all been wasting money and time treating internal diseases by adding medication to the water column?

https://aquariumscience.org/index.ph...sh-dont-drink/

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Fish don't drink!

Some drugs are relatively insoluble in water ,some people use vodka to dissolve it b4 adding to the tank.
    Kanamycin,metronidazole,tetracycline...treatment in bath,oral formulation or in feed.Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment by Dr. Edward J. Noga, MS, DVM,professor of aquatic medicine and immunology.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post
    We all are used to putting the medication such as Metro, etc. in water column. According to this article apparently it is a waste of time and money and these medications only work if given via food and ingested. It is an interesting read. Have we all been wasting money and time treating internal diseases by adding medication to the water column?

I read through many of the articles on the aquariumscience.org website. I find it interesting the author refuses to identify himself but claims to be an expert on everything related to the aquarium hobby. He seems to fancy himself as some sort of a rebel out to disprove many popular ideas through the scientific articles he has researched. The guy reminds me of Dr. Novak.

I do agree that not much medication is absorbed through the gills or skin. Getting medication via food is better but what do you do if the fish isn't eating?
    Injections are the best way to get medication into a fish but that's not practical.
    Medications in the water are more effective for infections of the skin and fins than it is for internal infections.

This is a bunch of hooey. If it didn't work in the water I wouldn't use it in the water. Neither would any of the experienced hobbyists.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jake

The text at the bottom of every article tells me enough to not take their advice seriously:
    The 17 chapters shown below in maroon lead to over 300 articles on all aspects of keeping a freshwater aquarium. These articles have NO links to profit making sites and are thus unbiased in their recommendations, unlike all the for-profit sites you will find with Google. Bookmark and browse!
    For example, there is an article on cycling which references "What Research has Revealed about Cycling", and starts off by saying "Very many university researchers have found the following:...." without providing any links or references to which university and which research the author is referring to. Without providing links to the actual research anyone can make these claims.

Registered Member

Aquariumscience has some good articles, but they're completly unreliable. If you use their info, read and crosscheck. Experience and science should correlate, if they don't, something is not right.

Real Name
    Mervin

Fresh water fish absorb meds in the water column through their gills and skin. Some fish diseases hinder appetite and won't eat food with meds in it. I'm with Liz.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

In past talks I have had with Al regarding metro. he said it takes five days for the fish to adsorb the metro thru gills and skin. I will take Al's word on this any day.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

There are a few studies on antibiotic absorption. Some antibiotics are absorbed through the gills (kanamycin, enrofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, trimethoprim, oxytetracycline) and others (erythromycin, chloramphenicol) aren't.

The metronidazole dosage in General Cure is 4X less than what's recommended in Noga's book though.

There are also a few studies where metronidazole was effective against ich and ichthyobodo in food but not in baths.

Registered Member

Un;ess a study is controlled and randomized its worthless. You can show whatever or wherever your imagination takes you. Since there are no randomized trials of merit, IMO stick with the forum experts as they have successfully treated most discus diseases.

Anyone ever raise seahorses? You have to keep even more of a pharmacy than with discus because mot require live food/ Metro is used like water.

Dang! I thank God I never fell in love with Seahorses. I hate having to throw meds at my Discus. I can't imagine how Seahorse people must feel.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post

This entire thread is an example of how conspiracy theories are started.