AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Rafflesia vs pigeon checkerboard

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Default Rafflesia vs pigeon checkerboard

Hi,
    I have a yellow rafflesia and a yellow pigeon checkerboard that I got when they were about 3-1/2”. While they looked different at that age, now that they are over 5” they are exactly identical, to the point that it’s hard to differentiate them. Not only their color and patterns are almost identical but their body shape is basically the same. Are they supposed to be the same kind of discus with a different name?
    Thank you.
    D

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Rafflesia vs pigeon checkerboard

Discus with similar genetic make-up can have very different sales names.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

You purchased the fish at the same time from the same source? A well known breed told me recently that sometimes when breeders name a fish they just name it what it most looks like and then sell it as such.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I have always seen Raff's as checkerboards with incomplete pattern coverage...same with pandas...same genetics with a different name as Francis and Peewee mentioned...likely for the purpose of sales so that buyers don't comparing 1 to the other...tricks of the trade

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Thank you. They are both very beautiful... they both have complete pattern, so they both look like checkerboards now. Another thing I noticed with both, is that the edges of their bodies have turned darker and brighter, almost bright orange instead of yellow ( the center is yellow) with very pronounced white patterns throughout. They were both very pale yellow when they came. The rest of my discus are mostly reds (patterned pigeons, checkerboards, snake .... ), I am wondering if the yellows are trying to mimic the others with their color and patterns to blend within the group. Could it be possible?

Real Name
    Daniel

If you use commercially prepared foods it's likely the color enhancers in the food you feed them...check the ingredients for astaxanthanin. It's a red enhancer and will turn yellow discus orange...

Real Name
    Tom

All I can say is your just teasing us!! I can’t give any opinion without a picture .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    All I can say is your just teasing us!! I can’t give any opinion without a picture .
    Says the lad who quite possibly owns the largest wall clock in America and whose beloved New York Jets continue to tease the football world with a possible winning game some time soon.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    If you use commercially prepared foods it's likely the color enhancers in the food you feed them...check the ingredients for astaxanthanin. It's a red enhancer and will turn yellow discus orange...
    True. Color these days is subjective. I wonder if anyone truly knows what color their fish should be. By comparison and much to our delights female humans are prone to hair colors that are not that which is natural for them. I do have a yellow fish that I purposely feed red enhancers to and for now I have no idea what the natural yellow color would be. She is a bright yellow but is it her natural yellow.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Sure thing, the fist picture is the Rafflesia when it arrived 3 months ago, and the second picture is the Rafflesia (left) together with the Yellow Pigeon Checkerboard (right), taken this morning.
    D14.jpg Yellows.jpg

Registered Member

The eyes turned red.

Real Name
    Willie

Pigeon Checkerboard = $
    Rafflesia = $$$
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Daniel

Nice discus. You did a good job growing them up!

Real Name
    Willie

Most commercial dry foods containing Red Dye No. 6 and will do a good job of enhancing both coloration and patterns (which are just color differences). Accumulation of these dyes may also minimize any genetic differences between the two strains.

Sometimes there are no genetic differences at all. A breeder may pick out the best ones from one batch and give those fish a different name from the lesser grades of the same batch.
    At my age, everything is irritating.