ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FedEx Shipping Gone Bad

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Talking FedEx Shipping Gone Bad

I ordered two discus on Thursday, 12-03-20 from Chicago Discus. Overnight priority for Friday, 12-04-20 delivery by 12:00 noon. Well as of today, Saturday, 12-05-20 no fish. I want to give a very huge shutout to Miranda at Chicago Discus. They contacted FedEx to see what's going on with the shipment??? Finally, FedEx contacted me today and stated the fish were here in at the San Antonio hub and will be delivered by 12-08-20. I don't think the fish will survive, so Chicago Discus will replace my order. Excellent customer service from those guys. Also noted a post on Facebook today from Discus Hans he too was having problems with FedEx on shipments arriving late. Just wanted everyone to know if ordering discus take note of matter happening with FedEx.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: FedEx Shipping Gone Bad

This from the Fed Ex site ;
    FedEx has suspended our money-back guarantee for all FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground®, FedEx Freight® (except FedEx Freight® Priority Plus) and FedEx Office® services effective immediately until further notice.
    They have known they can not deliver on time for a while now .
    They have had issues all year long since covid started and finally decided they can't afford to guarantee their service ...
    I believe it is the same now also with UPS ...
    UPS Service Guarantee
    Impact of the Coronavirus on our Service Guarantee.
    (as of March 26, 2020)

Within the U.S., UPS is designated among the government’s critical infrastructure and, therefore, continues to operate. The Novel Coronavirus pandemic has created unprecedented complexities, which have required us to constantly reassess our operations. Our highest priority is to help ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers, and suppliers.

Suspension of Service Guarantee
    Effective March 26, 2020 and until further notice, we have suspended the UPS Service Guarantee for all shipments from any origin to any destination. For all U.S. origin shipments, the Service Guarantee
    suspension became effective as of March 24, 2020.

My understanding and shipping money goes to the USPS who still as of last week guarantees the delivery date they sell ..
    Sorry to hear about your shipment . 5 days for overnight is bad even for the USPS !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Registered Member

Good customer service and why it makes sense to order from Chicago Discus. I did send a law book from Seattle to Honolulu, one that Little Ricky needed for an exam, overnight via Fed Ex. I got the tracking number and proceeded to watch the book travel to Oakland, day one. On day two it found its way to LA. On day three it had worked its way back to Oakland. On forth day it was finally on its way to Honolulu. And on the seventh day it rested...in Little Rickey's home.

Registered Member

I wonder is it Covid and holiday mail rush that has caused this? Is this not a good time to expect on time delivery?

Real Name
    Bud Smith

Shipping is risky now. I live in Ohio and the fish I have recieved shipped from the upper East Coast are very late. I bought angels for a two day delivery and it took 7 days from the East Coast. To my amazement they were alive and survived. Discus coming in from the North or South I have had no trouble. If you order discus now better be from vendor that has excellent customer service like Roland had. I just sold a lot of my discus and want to get more. Maybe next week. Nervous.
    Bud

Real Name
    Tom

Earlier in the year I shipped plants to Florida from New York. First stop was California!! Got there over a week later. It seemed liked they traveled back by truck. Ordered 2 pumps from different places. One was delivered to the wrong place. Though the driver marked it as delivered. And fed-ex said it was delivered. Even though I had the ring doorbell to prove it wasn’t. Got lucky there. The people it was delivered too brought it to me the next day. Terrible dealing with fed-ex. Next pump was delivered next door. Yeah there’s problems!!!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Lately FedEx has been consistently late, but typically gets there on the date promised. On a rare occasion, a shipment misses connection at the hub and arrives a day late. For that reason, although we ship overnight, we pack our fish to survive a 2-day transit. When we saw that FedEx missed the connection at the Fort Worth hub this time, we immediately called to request Saturday delivery. Early this morning (Saturday) the fish did indeed make it to the San Antonio sorting center. This is where FedEx really messed up... they didn't put it on the truck to the local facility to get it to its final destination. This is unforgivable. There is no way the fish will survive 5 days. Of course we will send replacements to Roland on Monday. But in all the years that I have been shipping discus, FedEx has never made good on their guarantee to get the package there on time, let alone reimburse the cost of the fish. I used to pay for insurance, until I realized that live fish are not covered by their insurance. I think all of the Simply Discus sponsors have a live arrival guarantee, which is even more important in these treacherous times. Stay safe everyone!
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

We make, sell and ship guitar picks every day.
    I just talked to a customer today. Has not received his order from Nov 27 in Texas.
    I tracked it and the package stayed here in Nashville area for 5 days.
    Thanks USPS!

Miranda and Josie at Chicago Discus are top notch in my book.
    Nothing but happy with their product and service

Vinni

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Discus View Post
    Lately FedEx has been consistently late, but typically gets there on the date promised. On a rare occasion, a shipment misses connection at the hub and arrives a day late. For that reason, although we ship overnight, we pack our fish to survive a 2-day transit. When we saw that FedEx missed the connection at the Fort Worth hub this time, we immediately called to request Saturday delivery. Early this morning (Saturday) the fish did indeed make it to the San Antonio sorting center. This is where FedEx really messed up... they didn't put it on the truck to the local facility to get it to its final destination. This is unforgivable. There is no way the fish will survive 5 days. Of course we will send replacements to Roland on Monday. But in all the years that I have been shipping discus, FedEx has never made good on their guarantee to get the package there on time, let alone reimburse the cost of the fish. I used to pay for insurance, until I realized that live fish are not covered by their insurance. I think all of the Simply Discus sponsors have a live arrival guarantee, which is even more important in these treacherous times. Stay safe everyone!
    Is UPS not an option for you or are they even worse?

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I think that right now, because of the pandemic, all of the carriers (FedEx, UPS, USPS) are stretched to the limit. FedEx has been very reliable over the years, and it would not make any sense to switch at this point. I don’t have as much experience with UPS, but I don’t have any reason to believe they would be any better. Yes FedEx messed up this time, and yes they have been late with deliveries over the past few months, but s**t happens. Pandemics happen. I still rely on them.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Discus View Post
    I think that right now, because of the pandemic, all of the carriers (FedEx, UPS, USPS) are stretched to the limit. FedEx has been very reliable over the years, and it would not make any sense to switch at this point. I don’t have as much experience with UPS, but I don’t have any reason to believe they would be any better. Yes FedEx messed up this time, and yes they have been late with deliveries over the past few months, but s**t happens. Pandemics happen. I still rely on them.
    Good morning everyone,

I work in logistics, I deal with Fedex and UPS equally. At this time, parcel or ground capacity in USA is limited because online shopping went thru the roof due to COVID. Some starts, online business has increased something like 2X year over year. If you read the news, both fedex and UPS have imposed capacity limits to major companies: Nike, Macy’s, Apple, etc AND started charging premiums because they can. My company is paying something like 10% premium to secure space, btw if we don’t use the space we still need to pay for it. In order words, use it or lose it but you pay for it.

About what we care the most, we have seen a drop in on time deliveries by about 30% since Oct, it is even worse in and out of the west coast. Normally, we see an extra day in transit, but if they misroute or mis sort a package could be days more, very tiny percentage. Not much to worry about it I would say.

Having said that, I am not trying to scare anyone. I ordered some fish couple of days ago, I will schedule my delivery ASAP. Don’t schedule a Friday delivery and ship as soon as you can ahead of Xmas. Things are going to get worse in a couple of weeks, it happens every year. I am sure sponsors will do a superb job packaging fish as always.... an extra day in transit will not be a big deal for the fish, but I know for us it will be an eternity.

Happy holidays

Real Name
    Brian

I've had discus arrive after 6 days and survive after FedEx routed them all across the country, so keep your fingers crossed. Stories like this are what irks me about FedEx. Both you and the fish are in San Antonio but they will not allow you to go pick them up yourself...

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It seems logical that in times like this fish should only be shipped Monday's & Tuesday's. Knowing the likelihood of delays it seems cruel to the fish, and a waste of money, to risk sending Wed thru Fri...

Real Name
    Willie

I've had real problems with UPS, because the delivery person(s) refuse to ring the door bell. Lost one fish because I was making a water change and didn't check my front door for 90 minutes. Even when I've asked the shipper to write PLEASE RING DOORBELL in big letters on the package, UPS does not do that. FedEx always ring the doorbell, even when it's not specified.

Seems to be just the logical thing to do...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I've had real problems with UPS, because the delivery person(s) refuse to ring the door bell. Lost one fish because I was making a water change and didn't check my front door for 90 minutes. Even when I've asked the shipper to write PLEASE RING DOORBELL in big letters on the package, UPS does not do that. FedEx always ring the doorbell, even when it's not specified.

Seems to be just the logical thing to do...
    Amazonians are good ringers too. Even USPS will ring if they ever get out of their Jeep DJs and do come to the door. The postman always rings twice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast