ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fish room update

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Fish room update

Quote Originally Posted by jonman0613 View Post
    Now the next step is getting myself a larger water storage tank. The 35 gallon barrel isn't cutting it anymore.
    I'm really limited on space as well. I plan on getting some space saving water barrels when I'm ready.

https://www.tank-depot.com/productde...rt=A-VT0135-23

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Take a look at Jack Taylor’s (KC_Discus)fish room and his passion to the discus hobby.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...m-of-Discus_KC
    That brings back memories, lol...

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I'm really limited on space as well. I plan on getting some space saving water barrels when I'm ready.

That's a real nice storage tank (primarily because I can get 23" through my basement door). Will need to do some wiring to get heating and aeration into a 7' tank. I guess the pump will have to be external?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

I almost bought this 400 gallons Doorway water tank.

https://www.plastic-mart.com/product...tank-sp0400-ut

Grasshopper
    Francis

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Take a look at Jack Taylor’s (KC_Discus)fish room and his passion to the discus hobby.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...m-of-Discus_KC
    That brings back memories, lol...
    Wow, you aren't kidding. The early days of SimplyDiscus.

I have a 65 gallon tank in my R.O. Water Bodega... with a 24" diameter it really gets in the way... I can't suck in my gut enough to get comfortably around it. I'd like to trade for a narrower 40gallon (which is about the quanity I need for a system water change) or even a slick square one. I have too much fresh water capacity....

ROWaterBodega.jpg
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-08-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

does it automatically top it off*** sorry I can't type!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    That's a real nice storage tank (primarily because I can get 23" through my basement door). Will need to do some wiring to get heating and aeration into a 7' tank. I guess the pump will have to be external?
    When we used a similar setup, we used a Jacuzzi pump for both water changes and aging. For water changes, the water was pumped through 2" pvc that reduced several times until it entered the tanks. A shut off valve installed just after the pump could divert the water back through the container for rapid aging.

The main thing I would change would be heating the water. Instead of heating the water, I would install an tankless water heater set to the tank temps. As long as the pump doesn't exceed the flow rating for the heater, it could be very cost effective.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jonman0613 View Post
    does it automatically top it off*** sorry I can't type!
    I don't know if your question was directed at me.... i'll answer anyway...

I have a float valve installed at about the 58 gallon mark in the storage container that cuts off flow from the RO Unit... it's plumbed in such a way through a device on the R.O. Unit... that the pressure valve in that line also closes the raw water supply ... so the whole R.O. Unit stops.
    Peter

learning never stops

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

My bad. Somehow my previous post was deleted. I have a float valve that tops off my RO barrel now. Do you just drill into the water storage? Sorry if this a dumb question. I havent actually put my eyes on a tank to get an idea of how I will actually do this.

Real Name
    Jake

Yep, depending on the float valve, it's usually like a 7/16" or 5/8" drill bit that you would use. The float comes with a nut that you use to secure it. I prefer adding either a rubber gasket (flat o-ring) and/or some 100% silicone to seal it off to make sure it doesn't leak.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Yep, depending on the float valve, it's usually like a 7/16" or 5/8" drill bit that you would use. The float comes with a nut that you use to secure it. I prefer adding either a rubber gasket (flat o-ring) and/or some 100% silicone to seal it off to make sure it doesn't leak.
    ok sweet, i appreciate the info!

I’m with the living vicariously crowd here so I appreciate the posts, the conversations and the photos.
    I thought about getting a bigger storage container. I’m not currently using r/o but I have a system l use for my reef tank.
    I’m currently using a 50 gallon rubber maid garbage bin hidden behind a soji screen next to the tank. When I need to do bigger water changes for the 75 gallon I need to mix in straight tap. It’s in a major living area though so I need to be realistic.
    A fish room like yours is full of opportunities that not many of us have the time, space or willingness to attempt. It’s a blank book that you can fill any way you wish. I’ll enjoy watching the evolution.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I’m with the living vicariously crowd here so I appreciate the posts, the conversations and the photos.
    I thought about getting a bigger storage container. I’m not currently using r/o but I have a system l use for my reef tank.
    I’m currently using a 50 gallon rubber maid garbage bin hidden behind a soji screen next to the tank. When I need to do bigger water changes for the 75 gallon I need to mix in straight tap. It’s in a major living area though so I need to be realistic.
    A fish room like yours is full of opportunities that not many of us have the time, space or willingness to attempt. It’s a blank book that you can fill any way you wish. I’ll enjoy watching the evolution.
    Thank you! Looking at purchasing a breeding pair here soon. With Christmas around the corner, shipping is crazy this time of year!

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Ditto. Same on mine.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    ...I’m currently using a 50 gallon rubber maid garbage bin hidden behind a soji screen next to the tank. When I need to do bigger water changes for the 75 gallon I need to mix in straight tap...
    I think I've found the solution for big water changes, Jenene.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12