AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: San Merah

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Default San Merah

I am having trouble figuring out what the standard, if there is one, for the San Merah discus. I purchased three juveniles from a reliable source and I am thinking of purchasing 3 more to put into a 75 gallon tank that I will be setting up as a strain specific tank but I am unclear what the adults will be like. Do they all have blue on their fins? I assume no striations once the fish are adults? Any thoughts on this strain? Thanks.

Post-Script: I did search SD and found this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ight=san+merah It is actually Shime's picture in that thread that is throwing me off as that fish is solid red, not like the current photos on the internet.
    Last edited by dornblaser; 12-10-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: San Merah

IMO San Merah are barless ,Red Cover has eye bar and Rose Red are throwback from San Merah.

San Merah

5FA352D4-D9A5-4C8E-B7C1-B176E22FF9D7.jpeg

Red Golden Diamond

B1461EC3-BBED-438C-B33D-7FC4DF3D60F9.jpeg

Red Valentine

4C63FB03-7E46-48B8-A5DA-A1AB24847E03.jpeg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Thanks. I have seen some with blue fins as well. Sometimes Red Rose's and San Merah look very similar. I am looking for bright fish for this tank but no yellows so there is not food additive conflict.

Real Name
    Francis

These days Red Cover are cross bred(Select breeding) to have blue face or blue halo....
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

True San Merah is a barless discus......Rose Red are throwbacks......if I remember correctly San Merah mated with another San Merah will have a percentage with no bars and percentage with bars.....perhaps other members here could chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by dornblaser View Post
    Thanks. I have seen some with blue fins as well. Sometimes Red Rose's and San Merah look very similar. I am looking for bright fish for this tank but no yellows so there is not food additive conflict.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

True San's are very hard, if not impossible to come by and I would be curious if anyone was selling them no matter how reputable people say they are. I've seen a "reputable" seller advertising San Merah's on their website and they are clearly fully barred discus.

Registered Member

I haven't seen any San Merah the last couple of decades mostly crosses from browns and red rose. The name San Merah can bring a higher price.
    San Merah do not have the stress bars, there are breeders that were trying to remove these bars in the past but since their technique not thru genetics their offspring had the stress bars.

Cliff