AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: live plant ideas for no substrate discus tanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Morgan

Default live plant ideas for no substrate discus tanks

Anyone using pots or driftwood/rocks with live plants that can be easily moved around in a bare bottom tank? Please share your ideas, pics, suggestions. What are you using, types of plants that work well in high temps? note: my water is very soft

Thanks!
    Last edited by wsdiscus; 12-10-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: live plant ideas for no substrate discus tanks

Well I didn’t go bare bottom but I only put 25lbs of gravel in my 125. So I got these plastic containers at the 5 and 10 and filled them with gravel and a pair of root tabs each. Than put some wood and rocks in front of them. Came out alright.522EAB09-DD6B-46F3-8BCC-8D81A253E036.jpg A5C097F1-3158-457E-AAD7-13148316B8DF.jpg

Tom, what kind of Amazon Sword is that? I prefer it to the normal narrower leaf type but I don't know the name of the kind you have in your tank. That's a very pretty tank but I've given up on Discus in tanks with gravel. Too much work to keep clean. Pristine is an impossibility. I have other planted tanks, though.

Morgan, I use java moss, Java fern, Anubias, and Bolbitis on Driftwood with gel super glue. I've glued plants on ceramic too, but it doesn't hold as well as it does on driftwood.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 12-10-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Liz it’s a Brazilian sword. Good looking sword. I’ve had it for about 4 months now. Still looks good but Brazilian swords are usually grown emersed. Reason for the bigger leaves. They usually die off after a few months. This one does seem to be holding on. Even producing new leaves. Yeah I tried the bare bottom. Went about a month or 2 with the 75 but just couldn’t due it.

Registered Member

Anubias, Java Fern and Bucephalandra all tolerate the heat and need their rhizomes exposed. Superglue, fishing line or ziptie them to rocks or driftwood.