ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hey Tom

Default Hey Tom

How about a close up of your red Rams?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Hey Tom

He’s got red rams now?!! Yes waiting for pics.

I think he showed a teaser in one of fish room videos,
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Ohh, I can't wait to see these!

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Peter Guennell in Germany was developing those (kind of Orangy on about 60% of the body.... the front half).I thought Peter Gallagher might be into them too... but he never responds to emails or messages... I didn't know anyone else in the USA was working with the Red Coloration. Man that would be soooooo awesome to seeee!!!

I'm in Seattle at the moment (just flew in today!)... and on Sunday will go to Aquarium Zen.... can't wait to see what they have.

Tom.... maybe I can get some your after.... and uh.... we can talk Rams.. LOL I'm really excited if you are exploiting Red/Orange coloring!!!! AWESOME!!!! (man... going to have to add two tanks to that top level to my Fish Nook)

Here's a Peter Guennell example:

PeterGuennellOrangeHeadGoldenRams.jpg

Man Tom.... Can't wait to see what you have.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-11-2020 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling and better organization of thoughts.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Real Name
    Tom

That is a beautiful fish Peter ..
    I thought to cross gold in as blank slate but it seems in the lighter color fish they show gold/orange ..
    Beautiful but my original 'reds' were just the females from GBR /EBR crossings .They don't really turn out like many would think , or at least how I thought ?
    The male can have a distorted or absent dark spot . Here you see the male in back and a 'red' female . These are F2 or 3 at least as the picture is from 3 years ago .

Over time some females really show red without the dark spot .

I don't have any recent pics and am not the best picture taker ..
    I'll try to find a couple examples of what this years look like .
    I just sell them as GBR/EBR cross and try to keep a nice red female and whatever cross or GBR male going ..
    In most of my crosses like the Black / EBR cross that I call BEX the the female has the colors and males stay hued for color but not sparkling like the female .
    This a male BEX

Here you can see 3 different males and one female bottom left

I am not the best picture taker sorry .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

Real Name
    Shan

wow rams looks so pretty
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Well Tom, If you ever come up with anything close to the fish Peter posted I'd better be first on the list. Do you think you can get there from where you're starting? It would make you famous among fish enthusiasts and fellow breeders. Of course the rest of the world wouldn't care a whit but what does that matter? I find the entire process fascinating.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 12-12-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Well Tom, If you ever come up with anything close to the fish Peter posted I'd better be first on the list. Do you think you can get there from where you're starting? It would make you famous among fish enthusiasts and fellow breeders. Of course the rest of the world wouldn't care a whit but what does that matter? I find the entire process fascinating.
    I will be second!

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Tom,
    That scale pattern on the female.... I think the Brits refer to that as PerlMutter .... I've seen it on some PowderBlues....

I was at both the Aquarium Co-op north of Seattle, and Aquarium Zen in Seattle. So carried away looking, I didn't take photos. I was tied in to a Zoom Meeting with the Desert Aquarist Society in Tucson... so I did a quick 10 minute quiet tour of the store for the participants.... But with Covid... once I was done... I had about another 15 or 20 minutes to shop so that I could make room for the people lined up outside the store....

Aquarium Co-op had German Blue X Electric Blue crosses like yours.... and Aquarium Zen had some nice Golds with really good form and red heads (so I got 4 of those) . Mainly just picked up allot of Tetras, Corydoras and Shrimp.

Tom, I did see some Black Rams as well at the Aquarium Co-op.... but they didn't look as nice as yours.

Neither place had any powder blues or electric blues.

I agree with you Liz.... I'd love to get a hold of some of those Rams with the Red Coloring.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops