ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mouth sore

Registered Member

Default Mouth sore

Hi Everyone,

I just noticed this morning that one of my discus has a sore on her mouth. I hoping that someone has dealt with this before and my know of a treatment.

Thanks,
    Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Sore on mouth, noticed this morning.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Not interested in eating

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Nothing

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

150 gallon, 10 months old, 10 Stendker's along with corys, tetras and snails. Planted aquarium

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

60% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

1 year, 1" sand bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Yes, one day

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Stable, barrel

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____86

- ph _____ 7.3

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____5-10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____x

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

3 times a day minimum, 2 types of Beefheart, Han's flake and frozen black worms

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Sorry for the poor pictures, she at the other side of the aquarium. It's the best I could do right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Mouth sore

Cropped and rotated pics for easier viewing...

IMG_3508~2.jpg

IMG_3509~2.jpg

Registered Member

Thank you

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hi Ringo, I have dealt with this several times with my highly inbred Koi angelfish. I believe your discus has what my angels did, they are mouth tumors and will eventually grow large enough the fish can't eat anymore. I don't think there is a cure, but the good thing is it is not contagious to your other discus. If your fish isn't eating it will probably be most humane to euthanize, as I did with my angels. Sorry, but this is not curable. The only other thing it could be is damage from fighting with another discus, as they can do in breeding mode. But this looks like a tumor to me.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, anyone else have any ideas what it maybe?

Real Name
    Steve

I agree with Barb. It's probably a tumor. But the only way to know for sure what it is would be to have it biopsied and sent to a veterinary pathology lab for diagnosis.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 12-16-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Again with angels, I've seen the tumor grow so big that the fish can no longer eat. I've successfully taken the fish out, put it on a paper towel and slice off the tumor with a new razor blade. There was virtually no blood and the fish came out of this procedure apparently unharmed.
    At my age, everything is irritating.