ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: First breeding pair!

Registered Member

Default First breeding pair!

Today we discovered we had our first breeding pair!
    They've been moved into their own 100L tank, and now we're frantically researching on what we need to do from here.

PXL_20201213_081608480.jpg

PS: I find a lot of the different strains look too similar for me to tell apart, so if anyone can I.D these guys I'd appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: First breeding pair!

Congratulations on your first pair! It's very exciting to see the eggs sitting there and the parents doing their thing.

As far as the two fish IDs - the one that gives a really good profile view is definitely a snakeskin, similar to what some would call a "Solid Color Snakeskin" or I've seen them referred to as "Cobalt Snakeskin". The other one that's looking right at the camera facing forward is a little harder to ID without seeing the full pattern, but looks to me like either a Fineline Red Snakeskin or possibly a Leopard Snakeskin. Great match either way!

Registered Member

Thanks heaps, AquaticNerd

Registered Member

Unfortunately, all the eggs were eaten overnight except three. Those three hatched, but were then eaten. I was totally prepared for this to happen and am still considering this as a success. I've got a breeding pair; step 1 complete!

I've kept the pair in their own tank and will put a plastic cage around the eggs if they lay again.

Real Name
    Jake

Sometimes it just takes the parents a few tries to "get it right". There are a lot of members around who have a lot more experience breeding than I do so they might be able to give more accurate advice.

I would agree - you at least know you have a pair and they've gotten to at least the "wriggler" stage. I'd definitely consider that a success.