ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are discus fish easy to take care of? How did it help your anxiety when you are sad?

Registered Member

Default Re: Are discus fish easy to take care of? How did it help your anxiety when you are s

Quote Originally Posted by Moreetta View Post
    Are discus fish easy to take care of? How did it help your anxiety when you are sad?
    I would recommend that you set up a tank and buy a few discus. There is enough information here if followed it should be easy for you. Watching the fish swim around is relaxing.

Registered Member

Default Re: Are discus fish easy to take care of? How did it help your anxiety when you are s

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Depending on your definition of "easy". They are if one does not mind changing the water several times per week and pays attention to their health and nutrition. You would also want to stock your aquarium with healthy fish at the beginning. You may well know that any fish that is active and visible in an aquarium is therapeutic in nature for anyone of any age. Tranquility is what aquarium fish are by nature.
    It is not really easy, thanks for this idea bud.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The winter is a trial here - unless you have a warm, humid fish room to spend your time. The upside is that at least once a year, EVERYTHING OUTSIDE DIES!
    Another thing that Minnesotans don't have to worry about...

200823152326-01-black-and-white-tegu-lizard-south-carolina-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)An invasive species of giant lizard is invading the Southeast and threatening native wildlife.
    The Argentine black and white tegu is a native of South America and eats the eggs of ground-nesting birds, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. They grow up to 4 feet long and can weigh more than 10 pounds...
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Fritz

I also try to explain this to everyone in my family. If something wasn't

1. really messy,
    2. excruciatingly frustrating, and
    3. incredibly expensive,

what's the point of doing it?
    As well as highly addictive adding additional financial expenses on top of being very expensive.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Registered Member

There is no excuses for not keeping discus. Smoking and drinking, if you indulge in either, is expensive. Eating out rather than cooking your own food, is expensive. Children are expensive. Dogs and cats with two vet bills are expensive plus food. There are no reasons for not keeping discus.

Registered Member

I also try to explain this to everyone in my family. If something wasn't

1. really messy,
    2. excruciatingly frustrating, and
    3. incredibly expensive,

what's the point of doing it?
    I thought of searching ways how to overcome my loneliness too. Until maybe there are some factor that needs to be considered esp this pandemic. Check this one out hope this will help you too bud! Click this - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7576375/

Real Name
    Willie

4oF is the high today. Everything outside is finally dead.

image.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

yes that is true and photo is pretty cool!

Real Name
    Bill G.

Yes....your photo is awesome.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moreetta View Post
    yes that is true and photo is pretty cool!
    Perhaps if you had a project that was somewhat complex and time consuming, such as setting up and maintaining a discus tank, that the time invested would not only reduce stress but also sever to reduce the boredom of quarantine. Interacting on this active forum would also become a nice distraction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Discus aren't hard or easy. They have unique requirements that other aquarium fish may not have, as well as those that some people may not understand.

Like my uncle said about growing up on the farm, it doesn't matter if you're sick, hung over or just in a bad mood, the cows still have to be milked, lol... Discus live in a closed environment and can't take care of themselves. Their requirements aren't up for negotiation...
    That is a very interesting parallel. A few years ago I was diagnosed with pneumonia and my doctor wagged her finger at me and told me to rest and not to move a muscle below the neck. Back at home that evening I was dragging a 50 gallon aging barrel across the house. She would never have understood. I just smiled and nodded.
    We all survived but I knew I had to make things easier on myself. I realized I don’t need to pick up the cow and carry her to the barn.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

I just simply stare at them when I my mind feels like exploding. And it gives me a sense of being responsible.

Registered Member

Certainly, anxiety is something we need to deal with seriously. How do professional usually deal this in the first 3 sessions.

Registered Member

Have any of you got suggestions on what to do when picking professionals?

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha40 View Post
    I just simply stare at them when I my mind feels like exploding. And it gives me a sense of being responsible.
    Reward in one's own hard work ethic is true inner peace IMO
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12