AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A Car thread.

Default Re: A Car thread.

From a guy on reddit
    There are several possible reasons why your steering wheel is hard to turn in reverse, depending on the type of power steering system your car has. Here are some of the most common causes:

Low power steering fluid: This is the most likely cause of steering wheel difficulty, especially if you hear noises when you turn. The power steering fluid helps the pump create hydraulic pressure, which makes it easier to turn the wheel. If the fluid level is low, the pump will not work properly and the steering will be harder. You should check the fluid level and refill it if necessary. You should also look for any leaks in the system that might cause the fluid to drain.

Faulty power steering pump: The power steering pump is what generates the hydraulic pressure that assists your steering. If the pump is malfunctioning or broken, you will lose the power steering assistance and have to use more force to turn the wheel. You can tell if the pump is faulty by listening for loud noises or whining sounds from the engine bay.

Broken serpentine belt: The serpentine belt is what drives the power steering pump and other components in the engine, such as the alternator, water pump, and air conditioning. If the belt snaps or slips off, the power steering pump will stop working and you will have a hard time turning the wheel. You will also notice other problems, such as dimming lights, overheating engine, or loss of air conditioning.

Power steering fluid too thick: The power steering fluid can become contaminated with dirt and debris over time, which makes it thicker and less able to flow through the hoses and valves. This reduces the responsiveness of the power steering system and makes it harder to turn the wheel. You should flush out the old fluid and replace it with new fluid every few years as part of regular maintenance.

Low tire pressure: The tire pressure can affect how easy or hard it is to steer your car, especially at low speeds. If your tires are underinflated, they will have more resistance and friction on the road, which makes it harder to turn them. You should check your tire pressure regularly and inflate them to the recommended level. This will also improve your fuel economy and safety.

Electric power steering problems: Some modern cars use electric power steering (EPS) instead of hydraulic power steering. EPS uses an electric motor to assist your steering instead of a pump and fluid. EPS is more reliable and efficient than hydraulic power steering, but it can still have problems. Some common issues with EPS are faulty sensors, wiring problems, software glitches, or motor failure. These problems can cause loss of power steering assistance, warning lights on the dashboard, or erratic steering behavior. You should take your car to a mechanic if you suspect any problems with your EPS system.
    Its a newish serpentine belt and I have had issues with it and with Ac... im thinking that may be related. Its pretty old so I'd be surprised if it had EPS. Hard to say its kind of a weird suv.. chrysler mercedes Hybrid. I boughtnit a few years back when beloved yukon denali died.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    So gearheads,grease monkeys and auto afficionados I have a car talk question for you.

I have a 2007 chysler aspen suv . It has a pecular problem. My power steering works perfectly when driving.When I put in reverse I loose power steering. its not too much of a hassel most of the time however I use this to pull my camper and have to back down a long curving driveway with the camper as well as back into campsites. It just not fun doing that without power steering. Anyone have an idea whats the problem here.

Thanks!
    Al
    Al, did you check your fan belt and power steering fluid?

Hi Cliff, I did. Everything looks good .
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678