AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: A Car thread.

Real Name
    Greg

Default Re: A Car thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    So confusing, so I flipped and resaved and this is try # 3. If anyone else has figured out this please let me know. Did see one other thread where inverted pics were rotated and reposted by another user but do not recall the subject so cannot run down the person who fixed and request assistance. Attachment 129895
    Nice '67 Don !!
    Hard to tell but the paint looks really slick. Beautiful blue!
    Last edited by Greg-Florida; 02-27-2023 at 11:14 AM.
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Ford stock for the body matched the lighter turquoise of the two tone interior. We decided to match the darker tone, I think it is actually a Toyota metallic, would have to go back and look. Regardless, very pleased with the outcome. BlueSky does outstanding work.

May end up liking the 911 shown even more. The restored mustang was a repeat of my first car I bought for 1,000 in 73, three tone scheme, blue, rust and bondo. Bought the second as a project car in 87 but never found the time to restore. Bought the 78 911 for my wife while stationed in Germany in 90, hell of a fun car to drive but nickname widowmaker (especially the 930 turbo) was well deserved.

Where R your pictures?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Tom, Not ignoring you, waiting to talk to the upholstry guy about the dash once the car gets to him. Whatever he does will send you photos and you can decide whether to contact him. He is near Budd Lake I think.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Don! Yes the turbo was nicknamed the widow maker because the turbo had 3-4 second delay. It came on with so much power if not ready it could pull the steering wheel out of your hand. Turbos weren’t that popular because of it. Funny back when I bought mine nobody wanted a turbo and they were around the same price. That delay was with them up till the late 80s. Than I believe they changed the turbo. Most turbos owned today have replaced the stock turbo.

Real Name
    Greg

45th Anniversary Edition Tribute Camaro - 2012.
    She sure does run and handle well!

Some really nice cars in this thread!

DSC_0892.jpg
    `·.¸¸.·´><(((( º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(((( º> ....... ><((( º> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <º (((((( >< ~~~~~~~~~~~

Real Name
    Greg

Ford stock for the body matched the lighter turquoise of the two tone interior. We decided to match the darker tone, I think it is actually a Toyota metallic, would have to go back and look. Regardless, very pleased with the outcome. BlueSky does outstanding work.

May end up liking the 911 shown even more. The restored mustang was a repeat of my first car I bought for 1,000 in 73, three tone scheme, blue, rust and bondo. Bought the second as a project car in 87 but never found the time to restore. Bought the 78 911 for my wife while stationed in Germany in 90, hell of a fun car to drive but nickname widowmaker (especially the 930 turbo) was well deserved.

Where R your pictures?
    Haha, 3 tone scheme!

I just posted my Camaro and tomorrow I'll post Mustang. Actually, I have a few Mustangs to post :-)

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Mine was a 911 modified with a 930 body. Lucky in a way as the builder found out Germans were offended by a lack of turbo so price was depressed. Given that I was a child of the 50s and grew up driving front engine Detroit hot rods, the porsche initially scared me. Took it out early on in a large parking lot and was amazed at how easy it was to inadvertently spin. Just a little too much power + turn and you were looking out the rear window to see where you were going. All that weight sitting on on the rear axle. Once you get used to the massive oversteer, it is at least predictible without turbo. Never lost it on dry pavement, but it was by far the worst snow car I ever drove. I think that is why the german engineers made the heat system so bad. Keep you out of the car when it is below freezing outside.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Very very cool, can't wait to see the 'stangs. I actually also own a 67 RS that is next in line to get fixed up. Of course I either have to find a house with a bigger garage or add lifts, do have the head space in the garage to do so. I did a lot of resto work in HS and college and was going to be doing all of the work absent paint and upholstry myself. Unfortunately life intervened and given the lumbar spondylosis/facet syndrome/radiculopathy and Rheumatoid Arthritis, that is no longer an option. Doing a simple 2 hour front end brake job is persently an all day adventure. Now reliant on younger less creaky folks to do the work, but resto costs are brutal. In a way it is a bonus as the guys I use are better at it than I was.

Real Name
    Greg

Can't compete with the Porsche's but here's my Detroit car.
    This is my '68 Mustang coupe, my first car at 16 years old.
    289, C-4 automatic, 9" posi rear.

Interesting story.
    My grandfather bought this new in 1968 to go back and forth to the golf course.
    The car had every single possible option on it including the very rare upper console
    with map lights, and vents with blinkers in the hood (not as rare).
    With the oil crisis in 1973 and Detroit downsizing all engines and cars for the 1974 model
    lines, Ford came out with the Mustang II and gramps bought one to do his part to save fuel.
    He then gave the 68 to my mother as we were at that time a one-car family.
    It became the family car and my older sister learned to drive in it.
    Fortunately, she married at 18 and moved off, leaving the car behind.
    In 1978 dad agreed to sell it to me for $1000 as I turned 16, and the rest is history.

I was really lucky. I knew 5 brothers whose father was the general manager of a large nearby
    Lincoln-Mercury dealership and the brothers were heavily into Mustangs and Shelby's and did crazy, outstanding paint work.
    They put some Shelby body parts on the car and painted it with Imron aircraft paint to a flawless perfection.
    These brothers were painting exotics like Countach's and winning best car and best paint in show.

One of my dad's employees had a brother who was the parts manager at the largest Ford dealership in town
    and not only did he give me all parts at 30% off, at that time you could buy Ford Factory
    high-performance parts because they were available across the counter! Today,
    you can barely finds the same parts used.
    They connected me with the dealership head mechanic who had the first 3 bays.
    He was so good he would diagnose and have helpers do the labor getting his 8 hours every
    day by noon and going home to work on his 1/4 mile strip cars. Ralph dominated our local strip with mind-blowing times and consistency.

So Ralph dropped in a 302 with Ford 289 Hi-Po heads with triple spring and enlarged valves, ports enlarged,
    solid lifters, Crane Fireball cam, Holley 600 vacuum, dual point distributor, 10.5:1 pistons, etc.
    The engine was made for high RPM but in my automatic didn't see much of that.
    I put in a B&M stall converter, shift kit, (and the harder I drove that car, the harder it shifted!), headers, an authentic Shelby aluminum high rise intake manifold,
    3.91 gears, etc. Only put out about 325 HP but was a really quick, light, fun car to drive.

Unfortunately, I have very few pictures of this car.

1968_00067_03.jpg1968-Mustang-Red.jpgGregs 1968 Mustang rear.jpgengine-1-lg.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Well I’m just not a mustang fan. Owned a 67 with a 6cyl. And I think the 6 ruined the car for me. At the time I also had a 72 Chevy with a 396. Think the difference in power was unbearable. But the second pic of it in red is a car to die for. That’s a great looking car. The pic is old I see the now classic 76-77 olds next to it. Do you still own this car? Wrecked the Chevy and an older friend had a 289 fastback hertz mustang with the whole opera light and upper console. Just a beautiful car. The guy offered it to me for 2k in 84. He was getting married and needed the money. I needed a daily driver and just couldnt see driving that daily. Ended up buying a 66 cutlass that I had till 2010 when I sold it. Bought the Porsche the next year. Wish i would have bought that mustang.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

All that past tense has me worried the Mustang has moved on. Tom......."not a mustang fan". I am so disappointed but get the 6 cyl experience. Had a 71 cuda in college with a slant 6. What a sluggish creature, embodied the "hamster on a wheel powertrain" concept with 0-60 measured in hours. Greg, the "Only put out about 325 HP" statement makes me chuckle. Getting more than 1 hp/ci with a normally aspirated, carburated engine was considered well done in the 70s, at least for shady tree hot rodders. Quick is an understatement given the power/weight of that model. Mine is similiar and I consider it somewhat more beastly than quick.

Real Name
    Tom

Don’t think I’ve ever heard my 71 Cuda was just a sluggish creature!! Hopefully no Mopar fanatics read that!! They may storm your house! . That mustang was so bad one year we took it upstate hunting. I had to pull over at a park&ride on the thruway and find some cardboard to put it front of the radiator just to get heat. That 6 wouldn’t even heat the car. So many times I’d leave the car running then jump in and turn the key and grind the starter. You just couldn’t hear or feel that engine running.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Well, they can rant but I am pretty sure that my "leaning tower of power" was the small version with a massive 145 hp and 215 ft-lbs. torque. Also had 150K+ miles and went through 2 quarts oil every 3K miles, half on the ground and half out the tailpipe. Needless to say, performance was not at 100%. I was a senior at UT bairly getting by on a shoestring budget and I paid under 500 for this a couple of years prior. Just after spring semester started I came back to my appt. one AM and no car in the lot (was with my girlfriend in her car, she hated my "rusty wreck"). Neighbors told me the car had burned overnight, and had been towed away by the city. Gotta admit I did get my money out of that. Soon as I had some funds after graduation, bought a Datsun 240 Z. Really fun car once I gave up on the original SU carbs and mounted two Webers.

Real Name
    Greg

Here is my 1969 Shelby GT-500.
    Bought this really cheap from the Mustang brothers because unfortunately it had been separated from it's original engine and wheels.
    Had a nice top-loader 4-speed transmission. The image below on the white background is not mine. I have very few remaining pictures of this car.
    Mostly fiberglass body, roll cage, performance suspension, etc.

One of the very unique characteristics of this car was the exhaust that exited through a giant aluminum manifold brought together in two central rectangles for a very distinct sound.

1969-Shelby-keep.jpgshelby69-rear.jpg1969-GT-500-1.jpg

Real Name
    Greg

All that past tense has me worried the Mustang has moved on. Tom......."not a mustang fan". I am so disappointed but get the 6 cyl experience. Had a 71 cuda in college with a slant 6. What a sluggish creature, embodied the "hamster on a wheel powertrain" concept with 0-60 measured in hours. Greg, the "Only put out about 325 HP" statement makes me chuckle. Getting more than 1 hp/ci with a normally aspirated, carburated engine was considered well done in the 70s, at least for shady tree hot rodders. Quick is an understatement given the power/weight of that model. Mine is similiar and I consider it somewhat more beastly than quick.
    The red 68 has moved on Don. I was a kid, no sense. And you're right, thanks for pointing out the power-to-weight ratio. Man, that car was only 2800 pounds after I removed the air conditioning!
    I used to put my tools in the trunk to help with traction!
    I now have a clean little maroon coupe I'll post soon. The blue Shelby is past tense also, was still a kid. Hindsights' a *****, isn't it?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast