AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hi! Beginner to discus, would like my first tank.

Registered Member

Default Hi! Beginner to discus, would like my first tank.

1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Hello, I'm Henry. I've been in the fish hobby for nearly 2 years now. After much research and reading, my first tank was a 40gal breeder community that was set up back in April 2019. Since then, I have acquired several others, including:

20g Long with guppies
    5g Shrimp tank
    45g Green terror tank
    100g Oscar and severum tank

So far I haven't had any problems, thanks to the wonderful advice from veterans in the internet. The next thing I'd love to keep are discus in at least a 55g tank (might get bigger one). I'm here to find more information about them and see if they are compatible with my tap water.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?
    I haven't read anything in here (just registered) but I've been watching Gabe Posada's videos from Jack Wattley Discus.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.
    I do not have the discus tank yet, still need more info!

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.
    I'd like substrate, but willing to do bare bottom in order to make my life easier as a beginner.

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.
    I like the idea of Gabe Posada's 1 discus per 10gal and 20% water change weekly, with siphoning and careful feeding.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.
    I will include lights, fluval heaters and a canister filter with some sponges filters for aereation/backup filtration.

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?
    I would like a group of 6 discus, perhaps 10 cories and 15-20 cardinal tetras.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.
    I'd like to feed food from Tropical brand since it seems it is really good. Planning on feeding the Discus Gran and Spirulina Gran.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?
    I want big, colorful healthy discus for display only, do not intend to bred. Eventually I'd love a fully planted tank with them!

I'd also love to know if you guys think my discus would thrive in my water. It is liquid rock, about 17gh, 400TDS and 7.6pH straight out of the tap. I'd like to keep them in this water if it's possible, if not I'll invest in RO water unit. Can display discus be kept in such hard water? I've read that soft water is only needed when breeding, but I see conflicting info everywhere and I'm overwhelmed!

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by HenryC; 12-16-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Hi! Beginner to discus, would like my first tank.

Welcome to the forum!
    A good place to start is with the "stickies" on the beginner forum.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-for-Beginners

Also this link by Al.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8

Real Name
    Tom

Lots to read!! Ask many questions! Don’t believe Gabe!

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    ...Don’t believe Gabe!
    +1
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Welcome to SD mate!
    Your target nitrate level needs to a max of 10 prior to your water changes. The stocking density and feeding regime will determine size & frequency of water changes. Adult discus are typically more tolerant of higher nitrates (10) and don't need to fed as often. If able, I suggest buying 5" fish as they're more forgiving as you learn.
    Gabe's advice of 20% weekly water changes will have your nitrates over 100 in a few short weeks and your discus will get sick and possibly die. The Stendker site advises 50% weekly changes and when I asked Hans personally about his thoughts he said "well 2/wk is better".
    The bottom line is discus needs lots of clean water for good health and vibrancy. If you cannot supply that it is honestly better not to spend the money. I came back to discus after many years away, worked hard at my water changes and enjoyed the benefits of great looking healthy fish, but when my circumstances changed and I could no longer do multiple large weekly water changes I sold my discus and went back to fish tolerant of nitrates in the 40-100 range. No more stress or headaches at the thought of losing my beauties!