ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help needed, discus laid eggs

Registered Member

Default Help needed, discus laid eggs

Hi

I have 42G lightly planted tank with 5 discus (3 of size 4+ inch and 2 of size 2+ inch). There are few other fish too - 4 fish of tetra varieties, pair of siamese algae eaters, 4 corys and (unfortunately) lots of snails.

I was under the impression that it would be at least 6 months for them to be adults and form pairs, if any.
    However, I noticed some activity by 2 larger ones yesterday around the driftwood, and noticed to my delight that there are eggs laid on the wood.
    I am reading up on breading basics, but there are some questions on which I thought it would be better to reach out to experienced folks on this forum -

1) I read that the white colour eggs indicate unfertilized ones. Mine were surely white yesterday, but today I am noticing colour change and they are brownish now. Does that mean they are possibly fertilized? Attaching both yesterday's and todays pic for the reference.

2) In case the eggs fertilize, what should be my next course of action? Due to planted layout, it's near impossible for me to make partition (attaching the pics for the reference).

3) I am aware that the success rate for the first eggs is very low and these eggs will likely not spawn. But what can I do later to improve the success rate? I read that once laid eggs, the pair will continue it for next 4-5 weeks. So does it make sense to move the pair to another tank?

Please help. Thanks in advanced.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kailas

Registered Member

Default Re: Help needed, discus laid eggs

All the eggs were eaten last night, looks like they were not fertile. Not unexpected as I read on some other threads here.
    Can someone please help me on the next steps? Is it a good idea to move the pair to another bb tank? I am not sure as that will change the environment around them since current tank is half planted.

Registered Member

Default Re: Help needed, discus laid eggs

Better luck with the next spawn. Might want to wait till the eggs are fertile then they are confirm. In the meantime a small slate can be place where
    they spawn last time, hopefully the next spawn will be on the slate. In the future spawn the slate can be remove along with the pair into their own tank.

Cliff