AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Is this Discus stunted

Registered Member

Post Is this Discus stunted

Hello,
    I’m very new to keeping discus and I purchased pigeon Blood Discus. They are about 8-9 months old and in my tank for 4 months now. I just want opinion on this particular fish, does it look stunted or bad shape?
    Thank You so much in advance! 02C09949-056D-488B-95FE-D6A84162D545.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Is this Discus stunted

I'm also new to the hobby, but an importer who I bought my fish off explained about counting how many eyes you could fit above/below their eye (Google image search it if you don't understand what I'm referring to). With that method I'd say, yes it's stunted. However, I've got a stunted turquoise that I've held onto. He's healthy and a pretty fish so I've chosen to just enjoy him for what he is.

Real Name
    Francis

Discus eyes size.

3EE8F57C-91AA-4207-A6CC-2024B03C2802.jpeg

When discus are assessed people often refer to a "nice size eye" or "the eye is too big" or "it has a small eye". I have been asked on a few occaisions to explain what is meant by a good size eye and a too big size eye.

In the picture there are 2 sets of of 2. The set on the left is of an oversize or big eye, the set on the right is of a good sized eye, in this particular case it is notable as it is on a wild caught discus. Wild caughts are often thought to have big eyes.

The left side of each set is the ey in all its glory, the right side of each set has size lines drawn on to help explain an often used term of 'eye count'. When I first heard this it made me think there could be a mutant discus with 7 1/2 eyes!!! (j/k )

On many of the newer strains of domestic discus the eye count is now heading around 9 to 9 1/2. In the older strains and wilds then 7 1/2 "eyes" is considered correct. It was Jack Wattley that originated this measure. The eye count is measured vertically.

I hope that helps in understanding eye size and its relation to the discus's size as well as the various terms used.

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...Size-Explained
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thank You two for your help! I tried counting eye ratio and I could fit 6 eyes into below and above the eye till i reach top of forehead and his belly
    Also what do you think about his body shape overall? It would be interesting to hear what you think!

Real Name
    Willie

The comparison is to a line drawn vertically through the eye itself, so ratio is closer to 4. This a pigeon blood type discus, which would typically have a higher ratio, 6:1 - 7:1 vs 4:1 - 5:1. So the fish has not reached its full genetic potential.

The shape of the fish is pretty average. It's not particularly round, nor is it a football. I suspect this fish is older than 8 - 9 months.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thank You Willie. Well when I purchased them 4 months ago, on August, they were about 4-5 months old. Now I know it’s not perfect in shape but he is still beutiful to me

Real Name
    Willie

Absolutely. I have many discus which fall short of perfection. If it were that important, I'd go to Penang and hand pick them myself.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.