ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction, Unhappy Fish, and General Request for Feedback

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Introduction, Unhappy Fish, and General Request for Feedback

For me growing out fish is the hobby. For me that’s my challenge. Why would I want someone else’s fish? Just the way I’ve kept fish since I was a kid with my first Oscar. I understand the risk of getting the smaller discus. This last batch I got from Hans I asked him about it. He said to me at that size it’s a gamble what your going to get. Especially with the pigeon bloods. The blues are better to get what you want.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    For me growing out fish is the hobby. For me that’s my challenge. Why would I want someone else’s fish? Just the way I’ve kept fish since I was a kid with my first Oscar. I understand the risk of getting the smaller discus. This last batch I got from Hans I asked him about it. He said to me at that size it’s a gamble what your going to get. Especially with the pigeon bloods. The blues are better to get what you want.
    Totally agree on this - I love my new fish from Winnie's but I also didn't raise them, so I don't have that special kind of bond with them that I do with Hans' fish..

Real Name
    Tom

Your winnies are great looking discus! For me 5” discus have not been winners. The 2 I got from UncleSams may have grown some but all of the store bought that I got at quarter size and the Hans discus have now grown bigger. I’m kind of wondering if discus could shrink? And the 4 I recently got from Kenny also haven’t impressed me. 2 haven’t grown at all and the reds have faded to a brownish red. They may have grown but no where near how the Hans are growing. I’m now wondering if 5” discus that have been shipped twice at that size could be stunted from the stress of shipping. How have your 5” Hans grown?

Registered Member

I'm never buying juvis and raising them again. Too much work and too much of a crapshoot. For a few extra hundred $$, I'll opt for the insta-adult tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    R V

Quote Originally Posted by Oxboy View Post
    I'm never buying juvis and raising them again. Too much work and too much of a crapshoot. For a few extra hundred $$, I'll opt for the insta-adult tank.
    For sure man. I feel the same. I’d rather know what I’m getting. Plus when you buy a 5” fish it’s usually only a year old max. These fish have a ten year minimum lifespan so you’re still getting a fish you can call your own.

Real Name
    Shan

@ R V

Likewise great post lmao. I am newer to the hobby, but the year I spent into discus have also shown me the quality if discus found in a lot of places tend to be on the lower side. Seems like truly growing a great discus involves 2 things - luck to get a good genetic small one, and putting in the work to feed and water change out the wazoo. At least my own discus grown this way are WAYY nicer than any I've seen in person. Thank you for sharing your insight. Also lol @ NFL football eagle discus. #rareinsults

@ Willie

This post is gold. This should be stickied on every facebook group
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Great insights from everyone! Thanks for sharing.

Sorry if this too graphic, but is this the WSP I've heard so much about?

PXL_20201223_211153640.MP.jpg

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dnkn View Post
    Great insights from everyone! Thanks for sharing.

Sorry if this too graphic, but is this the WSP I've heard so much about?

PXL_20201223_211153640.MP.jpg
    Could be. That's not normal poo. That said, I've noticed my guys occasionally put out a one-off white ribbon, then go back to normal tootsie rolls. I think they get a bad meal or bout of stomach issues just like any other animal. It comes and goes. I think if you consistently see the white ribbons, you need to scrutinize and possibly take action.

did you see it coming out of the fish or was it just floating in the tank?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob_B

That particular specimen was just floating in the tank. But I saw one similar in production.

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    That said, some of those fish look really dark to me? Is it the lighting or are they actually stressed?
    Shan, sorry I forgot to address this. It's just the lighting. The unhappy fish hide from the lights under the overflow box. It makes them look very dark in the photo, especially when they're flat against the glass as they are. The Silver PB is tipped on his side so he's picking up reflected light off the bottom. And also, he's almost white.

Real Name
    Willie

So I'm a complete idiot when it comes to photography, especially with my iPhone 6S. But I've found it much easier to take good pictures by moving the light to the front of the tank before shooting.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    So I'm a complete idiot when it comes to photography, especially with my iPhone 6S. But I've found it much easier to take good pictures by moving the light to the front of the tank before shooting.
    Seconded
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Jacob_B

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can give me a little further guidance regarding the stragglers in my tank. The small PB Silver now hasn't eaten in about a week and a half and he's looking pretty ragged. Others have joined him in the corner, one Red Scribbled, one Red Turq, and most recently, another PB Silver. This last one really surprised me because he's possibly the biggest fish in the group, the one Willie pointed out in post 14, and he was a voracious eater until a few days ago. Now he shows little to interest, and spends most of his time in the shadows.

PXL_20201229_011211114.jpg

I moved the 3 smaller fish into a 92 degree QT for a few days dosed with epsom salt and metro. But after about 48 hours, they didn't look at all better, maybe worse. So I put them back.
    I also dosed the main tank with levamisole the day before yesterday, following Al's QT procedure. I'll dose again on Saturday and again 2 weeks after that. Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Real Name
    Tom

Were the 3 you moved the problem fish? Or just smaller fish. I’d move the fish and leave them there. 92 may have been to high. Keep the temp the same or 2 degrees higher. 45 2” discus together there’s going to be problems. Keep the strongest together. Than decide what your going to do with the weaker ones. You may want to set up a few tanks!!
    Have you contacted Hans?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast