AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hello everyone

Registered Member

Default Hello everyone

Hello everyone,
    I’m new to this forum and I’ve already gone through several threads. This forum is very interesting and helpful to give our favorite fish the best.
    First of all, I’m a French guy so my apologies for the mistakes.
    I’ve been keeping fish for more than twenty five years now and discus for five years. As I moved out recently I am not maintaining discus at this time but my tank is ready and I should buy my new group next month. I have planned to let them grow during a few months in a grow-out tank to provide them the best care and chance to grow. Then they will jump into my 630 liters tank so 166 gallons if I’m not wrong.

Perhaps I can post here my first question. I am using a canister filter (Rena XP4) in my grow-out tank (35 gallons) and one air pump with two air diffusers. But I’ve noticed that many of you use quite big sponge filters probably to keep a bacterial colony directly inside the tank. Is this the main reason ? And do I need to add one sponge filter to complete my current filtration ?

I’m looking forward to talking about our hobby on this forum !

Registered Member

Default Re: Hello everyone

Bienvenue mon ami! It is a great question. I will be interested in the answer as well. Are you living in France?

Real Name
    Willie

Due to cost, most people start with young discus. Your use of a 35 gallon grow out tank suggest the same approach. The key to getting growth is simply doing water changes, large and frequent ones. In such case, there's no need for mechanical filtration since the waste will be removed frequently. My strategy is to spend most of my $$ on fish and sponge filters are more than adequate for nitrification.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Shan

My cannister filter got super dirty within a month of using beefheart 4 times a day. Much easier to clean sraps off the barebottom floor than inside a cannister filter. A HOB would be better IMO especially with large frequent water changes
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Yes peewee1 I live in France, more precisely in Paris.

You're right Willie I am gonna buy a group of 8 or 10 young German discus (5/6 cm).
    I will do daily water changes, remove waste on the bottom and try to feed at least 6 times a day.
    I've already set up this canister filter and I don't need it for another tank so I will let it in the tank but I will add another filtrer to support it and operate as prefiltration.
    Thanks for your answers

Real Name
    Jake

If you are still planning on using a canister filter in a growout, I would suggest getting something like this Prefilter Sponge and attach it to the intake of your canister. This way, even with the large number of feedings the majority of the uneaten waste ends up attached to the sponge for later grazing or for easier cleanup. I find that adding one of these onto the intake of any filter with an intake tube benefits from this and makes it easier to clean. Just pop the prefilter intake sponge off and give it a good squeeze. Keeps the inner portions of the filter far cleaner for much longer.

Registered Member

I have friend flight crew Air France who lives Roissy-en-France. I have visited Paris from time to time. I would live to visit but virus is of course does not allow for safe travel.

Registered Member

Thank you for the tip AquaticNerd. I will try to cut a piece of foam to adapt onto the intake.
    This should probably reduce a little bit the flowrate but it doesn’t matter as the filter is oversized.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I have friend flight crew Air France who lives Roissy-en-France. I have visited Paris from time to time. I would live to visit but virus is of course does not allow for safe travel.
    Very complicated at the moment

Real Name
    Tom

Yes the prefilter is a must for canister filters. I have one on my fx6 and it get cleaned 3 times a week. The canister get cleaned every2 months and could probably go 3+ months. I’m not a sponge alone user. I’ve got hobs and wet/drys or canisters on my tanks. For you water changes will be the most important. Growing discus need clean water. For a 35 with 8 in it. I’d change at least 20g a day. Keep them in the 35 till 4” than into the main tank.

Registered Member

Welcome fellow new poster.