AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Turning off lights is not necessary for Levamisole and Metronidazole

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Turning off lights is not necessary for Levamisole and Metronidazole

A common recommendation is to turn off lights during medicating with metronidazole and levamisole, if you don't then the medication is inactive and your treatment will fail. Based on my analysis this is unnecessary.

Levamisole from angelsplus.com was dissolved at 3 mg/mL in 10 ml of water from my display aquarium after a 30 % WC
    The sample was prepped with lights off and the only light was only indirect light from a northern facing window in December in WI during sample prep
    1 mL of this solution was sampled into a HPLC vial and wrapped tightly in foil and used as a control
    1 mL of this solution was sampled into a HPLC vial and sticky taped directly to a T8 ZooMed Flora Sun flourescent bulb
    1 mL of this solution was sampled into a HPLC vial and placed outside in direct sunlight

Metronidazole from angelsplus.com was similarly prepared however 3 mg/mL could not be obtained so 30 mg of metronidazole and 10 mL of aquarium water were stirred for 10 min then the supernatant sampled in the same fashion.

UHPLC/MS was used for this analysis.

After aging for 4 h under the above conditions:

Levamisole sun: 100.1% vs control
    Levamisole bulb: 100.0% vs control

Metronidazole sun: 95.5% vs control (There is not a corresponding peak that would indicate a decomposition product)
    Metronidazole bulb: 101.4% vs control

As an additional experiment I took the controls and placed them on a UV-C lamp for 10 minutes.
    Metronidazole UV-C: 101% vs. control
    Levamisole UV-C: 100.1% vs control

Frankly, I think the 95.5% from metronidazole is due to using a saturated sample and the outside temperature was 35 F causing a couple % of metronidazole to come out of solution. I ran out of time and its my last day of work so I'll put that as inconclusive. The UV-C experiment was also short but I've exposed UV-sensitive molecules under the same protocol and they are completely decomposed in under 1 minute.

The quality of the medications from angelsplus is extremely good. In both cases they are >99 area% pure.

I've decided to restick the samples to the flora sun bulb for the christmas break. Maybe we will see some decomposition.
    Last edited by JamesW; 12-21-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added aging experiment

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Turning off lights is not necessary for Levamisole and Metronidazole

To treat Hexamitosis ( Sprronucleosis) what is metronidazole dosage for it these days. From what I have read long time ago from Discus Health by Dieter Untergasser (Page 258)500mg for 26.41 gallons of water .I dosed 500 mg per 10 gallons 14 years ago...by now the parasitic flagellate should have a resistance to it....yr thoughts.
    Grasshopper
    Francis