ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Is 100% ro/di water thoughts?

Default Is 100% ro/di water thoughts?

Im planning on getting bigger tank setup. Currently, I purchased water for water changes. However, I will need cheaper sources of water before I get bigger tank. Im interested in getting ro/di because it gives out more stable tds compared having to rely on well water. Have anyone used 100% ro/di? or It is better to use ro/di with mineral supplements? I would like to hear your thoughts and experience with ro/di

Default Re: Is 100% ro/di water thoughts?

What's wrong with your tap water that makes you believe you need RO at all? It's usually not necessary except with breeding pairs, and then, only for a short time.
    Mama Bear

I currently buy refill mineral water to water change in my small tank. Im thinking of getting new water sources to save money in the long run. Currently, the available water sources are well water straight from the ground. Tds from my well water is inconsistent, sometimes it can get to 600 ppm, 200 ppm depending on the weather. Would using Ro water supplemented with mineral tablet would suffice? I also gives seachem nourish vit in my fish diet once a day.

Real Name
    Willie

The question Liz is asking is how would making a change in water chemistry benefit your discus? Many people here raise discus on well water. There's no magic water chemistry for raising high quality fish, just lots of water changes with clean water. Discus in the Amazon are raised in water with no minerals, so they clearly are able to thrive by getting minerals from their food.

You need to determine how your discus is growing on tap water. Otherwise it's hard to define how going to straight R/O or R/O with mineral supplements would provide a benefit.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

thanks for the help Liz and Willie. I never raised my discus from tap/well water so I cannot tell how it do from that water sources. To get clearer picture, the places where i buy the water have some filtration system and it looks like this. It is actually meant for drinking consumption.

Air isi ulang.jpg

I will try to visit water filtration company today to see if they can set up this filtration in my place. On the other hand, regarding how did my discus developed in my current water, I think it did great.

9 Nov:
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 10.08.01.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 10.08.01 (1).jpeg

26 Dec:
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 10.06.20.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-26 at 10.06.19.jpg

water is still the same, i just started using sachem nourish then. I used to change my water 30% everyday, but now I changed 100% every 2-3 days and see better results.

Registered Member

I'm looking at the first picture the 2 green color filters can be install by Culligan Water filter company, either rent or buy. If you rent they have an maintenance schedule. Some of the local pet stores have this kind of setup.

Cliff

thanks for the information Cliff. I will try to find out and compares all the options available.